Chapter 5: To Flee

3114 was amazed by her new wings, they were bigger proportionally to her body and so was her bird-like tail. Her wings and tail were as soft as silk and glistened like the moon at night. But they hindered her movement, she wasn't fast and she could easily get caught in vines or branches.

She began to worry over her friends, they didn't want to leave either of the group behind. They wanted to stay together as a group and believed that all of them could be safe if they kept moving and stayed together.

But she knew she wasn't making travel easy. They learned how to fly by watching the birds, though 6573 wasn't able to learn till she watched bats at night. The group was smart about how they traveled, moving every dawn and dusk, knowing their enemy would be looking to find them when they slept, they never stayed in the same place for long.

But 3114 knew she couldn't stay with them much longer, or else they'd be caught from her feathers shading and leaving a trail. So one night, she got up silently, expanding her tail feathers out she cautiously made her way a bit away before she took off from the ground.

She began to head off towards the west, flying towards great mountains, and leaving behind her only friends. She could see the feathers dropping from her wings when she flapped and knew she'd be followed by the enemy.

But so long as her friends had a chance to find the GPA she would be glad they found true safety...

~3 days later~

She flew, gliding in an airstream that was carrying her straight to the mountains. Her feathers were growing more and more everytime she shed her wings. She figured out why her wings were so big compared to her little body... They were perfect for gliding.

Her big tail feathers helped her as well, providing her backend lift as her wings provided her frontend lift too. She was built for long travel, and her lungs and heart fueled her body providing oxygen throughout her new appendages.

She looked back, thinking on why they were still able to be tracked... Then she thought about the night of escape. The leader, in all her anger, and said to not take her.. (though of course not giving her a pronoun other than "It"-) but why?

Why care about little ol' 3114? The others had great abilities, why her instead?

As the thought she came to a clearing and landed gently, her body had changed much since she gained her wings. For one her feet has changed into large white soft paws, with a clawed toe at the back for landing on branches... Not that the trees could support her weight.

She laid down, curling up in a comfortable position, her tail feathers closed together and her wings covered her sides. She laid on her belly side and relaxed, her wings were tired and she couldn't glide forever. So she began to rest, hoping her friends weren't following, and their trail was safely hidden by the enemy's want for her instead.

~To be continued in chapter 6~