• 𝐒𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐈𝐧, 𝐒𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐃𝐨𝐰𝐧 •

"𝘈𝘪𝘯'𝘵 𝘯𝘰 𝘤𝘰𝘮𝘱𝘦𝘵𝘪𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘪𝘯'𝘵 𝘭𝘪𝘬𝘦 𝘮𝘦" - Emotions, Aleksa Safiya

~

"Don''t even try it nigga, she my girl"

It had been a few weeks since Riley started High School, and it had been going fairly well. For the last few years, things had been going strong; Quincy had long since moved, so he hadn't heard from Khalil in a hot minute, he and Fatima were still together despite beginning their relationship just before their second year of middle school, and all his friends got into Midbrook, though it wasn't that much of an achievement, an illiterate could probably get into Midbrook.

His friends had changed quite a bit in those two years, Deja had actually had a growth spurt, which funnily enough made her taller than her older sister, not only that but she had started wearing glasses and had just overall gotten really pretty. She'd calmed down a bit, not really being a chaotic firecracker anymore, though she'd still swing on a bitch if she felt the need too. Naturally, she fit in with the more 'popular' girls, but still hung with Renegade most of the time.

Emily had gone full tomboy, rocking cornrows that rivalled Riley's and never wearing anything more revealing than a hoodie and baggy jeans. He'd actually seen her try out for the girl's basketball team, and she was pretty good. Emily had made a couple of friends since starting high school, but she didn't try to fit in to any group. Riley couldn't lie, ever since toning down the annoying fake hood shit, she'd been real cool to hang with, almost being one of the boys.

The guys hadn't changed much, Kumal was still the jokester of the group, Dequan was still level headed and Treshawn was still too big for his britches. Aside from the fact that girls were apparently really into Kumal, the four boys were still as thick as thieves. Riley himself was also relatively the same, he'd gotten taller, his voice had gotten deeper yet he still hadn't started the facial hair part of puberty, aside from that though he still looked and dressed pretty much the exact same.

The person in the group who'd had the biggest change by far was Fatima. Naturally, Riley had always thought she was pretty, but it seemed in the last few years she'd become downright gorgeous. She was just about a head shorter than him, her hair long and healthy as always, she had perfect skin and eyes and everything, it was almost unfair. She wasn't just regular pretty, she was incredibly pretty, the type that turned heads when she walked by, he remembered times where photographers would stop her on the street and ask for pictures, and she had even modelled for a perfume commercial a few months prior. Though her intelligence hadn't dwindled, still being one of the smartest girls in her grade.

She was beauty and brains, and though he liked that people were finally noticing and appreciating just how beautiful his girlfriend was, that fact that she was getting attention from guys... bothered him. He had made sure to assert on the first day that she was taken, but it seemed the guys at Midbrook, especially the older ones, didn't really give a fuck what freshman Riley Freeman had to say.