Chapter Eight: A Place to Stay

{———}

Penny's eyes widened in surprise and her other hand flew atop her other in a matter of a few seconds, obviously not having expected for her to notice that detail. The blood drained from her face, then it proceeded to turn different shades of red.

All the while, Jagged burst into a belly-aching laugh, amused by Penny's reaction to Marinette pointing out the ring on her finger.

Marinette looked at the two of them in confusion, this was a weird reaction. You could definitely tell how the two of them were opposites.

"Well, Mari," Penny started. "I'm engaged to Jagged."

Marinette smiled a bright, radiating smile, she had been waiting for this for years! She was not sure if she should pinch herself to make sure was not dreaming, or to just sit there in astonishment for a few minutes.

"Finally! Okay, now I can bring back those designs for you guys to wear as a married couple," She said under her breath.

Jagged must have heard her though, because he was suddenly laughing once again.

"Congratulations! I love both of you so much," She said enthusiastically.

"We love you, too, Marinette," Penny said in a warm tone, her hand reaching out to Marinette's, enveloping Marinette's small, slightly callused fingers into hers.

"When were you planning on telling me?" She asked in a curious, but polite voice.

"We were actually going to tell you at the meeting in a few months. Mainly because we wanted to tell you in person," Penny said nervously.

"Well I guess it's good we met today, especially since that meeting had to be cancelled,"Marinette replied.

"It would be rockin' if you did my suit and Penny's dress!" Jagged said all of a sudden, though by the way her cornered-eyed Penny told her that they had already discussed this.

"You want me to do your outfits?!" Marinette gaped, it was one thing to design his clothes for concerts, and the occasionally suit for Penny, but to design their wedding outfits . . . Marinette could not help but feel touched by the gesture.

"If it isn't any trouble . . .," Penny said reluctantly, obviously nervous that Marinette would not accept.

"I have a few sketches of wedding dresses at home, my Maman will have to send pictures for me though," Marinette said absentmindedly,going into her own world.

Jagged and Penny froze. The had not expected this, apparently, and Marinette could not help but feel like she was starting to make them worry.

"Your parents aren't in Gotham?" Jagged asked with a slightly repressed emotion in his voice.

"I was here for a class trip, actually. I missed the bus ride to the airport. And the teacher didn't notice. The teacher didn't do it on purpose! Some troublesome students got out of hand and. . .," She trailed off into silence.

"Penny, could you call Mrs. Dupain-Cheng?" Jagged asked with a weird

edge to his voice.

Penny nodded and pulled out her phone to call her, the case was a Jagged Stone one that was signed by Jagged.

Whilst the phone was ringing, the Limousine pulled to a stop, telling Marinette that they had arrived at where her Uncle and soon-to-be Aunt were staying.

"Looks like we're here," Jagged said excitedly.

Marinette stepped out of the car, and was surprised to see a three story house.

It was a house. Not a hotel! And it practically screamed Jagged Stone.

"It's beautiful," She said breathlessly.

The house was indeed beautiful, its purple tiled roof and neutral colored walls somehow tying together in the perfect way.

"Do you live here?" Marinette found herself asking.

"Yes, we wouldn't mind at all. You know Jagged considers her his Niece," Penny had the phone next to her ear, a look of determination on her face.

Jagged looked expectantly at Penny, waiting for something, his face full of hope.

Penny nodded and gave him a thumbs up, smiling brightly at him before focusing once again on the audio coming from her phone.

"Marinette would you like to see your mom on FaceTime?" Penny offered.

Marinette nodded, it would be good to FaceTime her Maman.

Penny handed her the phone and found her Maman's contact.

"Hey sweetie!" Her Mother said brightly, answering on the first ding.

"Hey, look Uncle Jagged and Penny are here!" Marinette gestured to them with one hand, "In Gotham!"

"Yes, I know, Penny here called me. Now, I have a question to ask you Marinette," Her Maman said seriously.

Marinette nodded eager to find out what she was asking.

"Would you like to live with your Uncle Jagged for your stay in Gotham?"

For a moment, Marinette did not respond. Not only did they want her to design their outfits, they were offering for her a place to stay while she was stuck in this sticky situation.

"They're letting me stay with them?" Marinette eyes brightened with excitement.

"Only if you want. They don't want to force you," Her Mother said tenderly.

"Of course I want to," Marinette said quickly, the words tumbling out with a second of hesitation.

So then it was settled. After a few hours of hanging out in their house, they went back and gathered the rest of Marinette's belongings.

The receptionist from a few days ago was in the front, her fingers moving quickly on the clipboard.

"Oh, are you leaving?" She asked, her eyes making contact with Marinette's.

Marinette looked at her. The past few days she was so flustered that she did not notice how much information she was giving away to people she did not know if she could trust, she would have to be careful form now on.

The woman looked to be in her twenties, and had blonde hair and light green eyes.

On the top of the desk was a plant. It was pretty and seemed to be fairly new. It also had a broken branch.

"Yes, I'm staying with someone I know," Marinette said in a happy tone, trying not to seem rude while also giving away as little information as possible.

"Well I hope you enjoy Gotham!" The woman said kindly.

Marinette nodded thankfully and scurried off, not wanting to waste another second in the building.

}———{