Chapter Eleven: Coffee is a Lifesaver

{———}

M A R I N E T T E

Marinette soon learned that Jagged Stone was not only a very, very loud person on and off the stage, but also a morning person.

And he loved waking her up.

It seemed as if it had turned into his pride and joy, waking her up. As he did that first thing every morning. She was told by Penny that it was the first thing he did every morning. Marinette, despite being annoyed by this so very sweet gesture, was also just the slightest bit amused by it. Of course, she would never admit that, in fear he would start waking her up earlier.

She had joined school on a friday, so she was lucky enough to catch up on some well needed sleep on the weekend. She needed the sleep not only because she was still trying to get rid of her jet lag, but also because of her pure exhaustion. She was actually excited to get some sleep for once in her very eventful life.

But, of course, that did not happen.

She was pulled along by Jagged to get a tour of Gotham. He had promised to show her all of his favorite places, including a very interesting looking ice-cream shop.

They had ended up staying in that ice-cream for a little longer than planned, by Marinette had absolutely no regrets about it.

In the end, Marinette thoroughly enjoyed the tour, even getting some inspiration for some future designs. She quickly picked a favorite spot out of all the places they toured, it being a cozy thrift store. She was happy with the amount of clothes that could be used as fabric.

She would probably go back to it for one of her commissions, one that was very hard to please the customer.

After the tour, Jagged gave her some rules, the main one being to never go wandering around Gotham at night. She carefully assured him that she would not be, even going as far to promise him.

She felt slightly bad in the end, because she knew she would be using kaalki during an akuma attack, and with the time difference, it would most likely be at night. But she knew she had to do it.

It would make him and Penny worry slightly less about her, so of course she agreed.

"Marinette!" Jagged's voice rang through the long hallway, under Marinette's door, and into her room.

She groaned at the loud noise, and tossed a pillow on top of her head, hoping that she was imagining his very chirpy voice.

It was silent for a few seconds, before a very loud and irritating noise could be heard—at least, to her, it was annoying.

Knocking.

He was knocking on her door. At eight in the morning.

The knocking picked up in speed. The persistent noise kept on, not stopping for a moment. It seemed that her Uncle Jagged was making a new beat to a song.

Marinette got out of her bed on jelly legs, rubbing her eyes as she opened the door.

"Perfect! Time to Rock'n'Roll! I have a few surprises in store for today!" Jagged said excitedly.

Marinette opened her eyes and looked at him. He had an ear-to-ear grin on his face, reminding her faintly of a kid in a candy store.

She inwardly sighed, before quickly smiling at Jagged.

"Get ready! Today we're going to grab some things for your room!" He exclaimed in a loud voice.

Marinette ignored the urge to cover her ears at the faint echo the room gave off, and nodded.

Oh how it was too early.

She closed the door to her room and got dressed slowly, hoping that her speed could somehow make his mood go down.

The room was a guest bedroom. The main color of the room was a light chocolate brown.

Although it looked nice, it wasn't Marinette's style, so she was excited to change up the room—even if she was not quite awake enough yet to show her enthusiasm.

Today, she was supposed to also be getting some things to personalize her school bag. She was excited, but tired.

Marinette walked out of the room still half asleep, her eyes blurring everything together, sleep still trying to overcome her eyelids.

She walked into the kitchen and found Penny near the coffee-maker. The purple-haired woman looked at her with a blank expression, before nodding towards the device.

"This is how I live with him." She stated in a raspy voice, obviously still on the brink of sleep.

Marinette eagerly joined her near the coffee machine and fixed herself a cup of black coffee. She quickly gulped down the bitter drink, but winced at the harsh heat and disgusting taste.

She loved a good black coffee, but most of the time she found she didn't like the store-bought kind. Her parents had taught her how to make coffee with the coffee beans, and eventually she had made up some quick recipes that she liked.

"Would you be up for coffee made from that grounds?" She asked, looking down at her empty cup.

Penny swirled her coffee around in the cup, staring intently at the black liquid in her mug.

"I would definitely try it. This isn't the best tasting, but this is the only one I've found that wakes me up," She agreed with a frown.

"I'll add coffee beans on the grocery list," Marinette said, walking up to her notebook.

{———}

A whole bunch of shops later, Marinette arrived back at Jagged's home.

The trip had been an overall success. Not only did she get some decorations for her room, but she also found the perfect fabric for her latest design.

As soon as she got to her room, she sat down on her bed and began scribbling down measurements and how long it would take.

She would have continued, but soon a notification popped up on her phone.

She absentmindedly picked it up.

It was an akuma alert.

She immediately sprang up and locked her door.

Then she transformed with Tikki and Kaalki and yo-yoed to the scene.

And just when I thought I'd get some rest, Marinette thought briskly.

}———{