Chapter Thirty-Five: Headaches and Worries

{———}

The second the door clicked back into place, Marinette simultaneously spun on her heel and got into a protective stance, quickly checking to see if the gun had a safety.

Once she saw that it did, she clicked the safety back on, knowing that she did not know enough to shoot a gun herself.

She was in a hallway, she could hear the chaos that lay down the end of the hallway bouncing off the walls.

She lifted up the gun, testing the weight of it. If push came to shove, she could use the gun to hit someone pretty hard.

—but she would not do that unless needed, unless someone came at her first. She was not the Hero here, she did not run towards the danger.

Her job was to find her Aunt and Uncle, she was worried about them. Anxiousness curled itself into her stomach when she thought about them.

She figured it was safe to assume that she had been moved far away from the Vet, but she had no clue what had happened to her Uncle and Aunt during the time that she was out.

But she needed to try to find her way out nonetheless.

She walked down the hallway carefully, looking for any signs of movements. The sounds slowly got louder as she got closer, gunshots ringing through the air, making Marinette's ears ring slightly.

There was no door at the end of the hallway, it just automatically opened up at the end, giving Marinette a full view of the ongoing battle.

Marinette analyzed what was going on for a moment, quickly moving out of the way as to not get aimed at.

The Bats filled the area, all of them quickly settling down The Riddler and his accomplices.

It looked like they were just starting to finish, most of the men lay on the ground unconscious or bound.

Marinette looked around for an exit, the sound of gunshots slowing down to a stop.

With the deafening noise having diminished quite substantially, she could make out the sound of cop cars.

She turned her head away, looking towards where she heard the noise, trying to see if there was a window near her.

She turned her head back to find no trace of The Bats, only bound and unconscious men strewn across the room in slumped, exhausted forms.

Cops entered the big room quickly after that, their guns raised defensively as they filled the room.

Marinette, calculatedly put the gun on the floor, then raised her hands into the air, not really knowing what to do.

"Grab all the hostages in the area, looks like most of the job is done," One of them said, a man with an almost scruffy voice said, his voice final and firm.

The cops spread out, one of them led her outside.

She was quickly sat down on a nearby curve, a shock blanket put over her shoulders.

She thanked the lady who brought her a blanket and just sat for a while, trying her best to process and organize her thoughts.

Soon, a man came over to her. She vaguely remembered him from the event she and her relatives had gone to a few weeks ago, where she had gone up against Damian.

"Hello. I'm officer Grayson. I know you've just been through something quite traumatic, but I'm going to have to ask you if you can answer a few questions." His hand snapped out to Marinette, waiting for her to shake it.

She reached one of her hands out of the shock blanket and firmly shook his hand, giving him a smile. "Of course, that's perfectly fine."

"What is your name?" He asked, drawing out a notepad to take notes on.

"Marinette Dupain-Cheng," She answered.

The throbbing in her head increased, the adrenaline in her system ebbing away.

"Can you tell me what happened?"

"I went to the Vet for my new kitten. The Riddler showed up and made us sit down—I—I can't recall what happened after that. Then I woke up in a room, I untied my hands and feet, then—," She paused, wincing at the pain in her forehead.

"You don't remember what made you pass out? And you were bound?" He asked quickly, concern flying over his features.

"Yes, I was bound. No, I don't remember what made me fall asleep."

"You might have been knocked out, medical specialists' are coming soon, they'll check to see if you have a concussion. If you don't, you'll probably have a migraine for the next few days," He said, taking note of her pain.

She nodded, the pain growing slightly worse.

"We can continue this later," He said, walking off when she nodded in reply.

She sat in silence, her slightly jumbled thoughts still rapidly ramming against her head, confusion and frustration thrumming through her.

She could easily recognize that the voice belonged to Lila Rossi. It was not hard to notice her familiar sweet, compelling voice.

She wondered how she could have heard her, as it seemed impossible that she had been there—so why did she keep thinking about it?

And yet, she knew what she heard!

She could not ponder on her irregular thoughts for long, though. A woman quickly approached her, her calm expression making Marinette relax slightly.

"Can you tell me what is all hurting?" Her voice was lower than she would have expected, though not incredibly deep.

Marinette cleared her throat, then pointed to her head. "I have a throbbing headache."

The woman nodded and asked her some questions, carefully evaluating her patient, making sure to take her time so she got nothing wrong.

She ended up looking closely at Marinette's head, checking with a heavy suspicion that she had been forcibly knocked out, her suspicions being confirmed with a large red bruise-forming mark hidden in her hair.

Quickly, the woman took out a special looking light and shined it into Marinette's very dilated eyes.

"Alright, sweetie. I'm afraid you might have a concussion," She said in a tender tone, "We don't know how severe, but given the circumstances, it wouldn't hurt to get it checked out—maybe get you some pain meds prescribed."

Marinette nodded, her tiredness waving onto her, making her sleepy.

However, she did not—could not sleep. She felt unsafe.

And so, she decided to await her Uncle and Aunt's arrival, which she knew was not too far ahead.

}———{