Chapter Forty Five: Accepting The Obvious

Sweat drenched the top half of Lady Honey's suit, along with multiple layers of grime, making her appearance seem jumbled and uncollected, unlike how she normally was.

A man lay not but a few feet from them, though he was temporarily ignored as the trio took a moment to collect themselves. Ladybug came to Lady Honey's side quickly, checking to see just how her friend was.

"I want to get out of here," she muttered as soon as Marinette got close enough to her, her voice down casted and low, a sigh of exhaustion following soon after.

Marinette nodded her head manneredly, then looked at Cat about, motioning with her head for him to help their friend.

With a quickened step, Cat Noir walked to Lady Honey, his hands moving as he spoke to her.

Marinette moved to the victim, a mild confusion settling over her. She wondered what had been going on in their mind to cause such a dangerous reaction to being akumatized.

"Ladybug?" the man questioned curiously, a slight skittishness surrounding him.

The man was skinnier, and he wore a green sweater that seemed to be made of fair quality. His eyes bore into Marinette as he slowly sat yo from his place on the ground.

"Was I? . . . No!" he stood up harshly, grabbing at his hair fiercely, taking up his entire focus.

"It's over. Are you okay?" she spoke out quickly, trying her best to assist him in any way she could.

"Of course I let it happen to me, I'm too weak," he muttered brokenly. "I'm too weak, I'm too weak."

"Hey!" Marinette tapped him on the shoulder. "Nobody's perfect."

He shook his head viciously. "My fault, my fault."

Marinette firmly replied, "Listen, nobody should keep their emotions held in so long that they burst. Besides, it isn't your fault, it's Hawkmoths."

They turned to her, an odd sense of peace coming over them. "Yes."

"It's not your fault," she repeated firmly.

A beep from her earring made her jump slightly, causing a small laugh to form in her chest. She quickly wrapped up her conversation with the man, wanting to make a sudden exit from Paris.

The man's reaction irked her. She was uncomfortable with the very thought of his mindset. It was unsettling for her, how easily someone could ram such bad thoughts into their head.

Soon enough, after Chloe was given a moment of rest, Marinette was back in Gotham, the air smelling different than the air in Paris.

She was unsure of how her Uncle and Aunt would react, considering she had missed who knew how much of class, after all.

She was wary as she stepped out of her room, the soft heat from the portal still heating her cheeks slightly as she stepped out in a more casual outfit for the evening. As she proceeded down the sleek steps of the house and into the kitchen, she made sure to glance at the time, as she knew she still needed to get some homework done. The digital clock on the microwave read 6:24 pm.

She held in a sigh and decided to go through the living room, knowing that her uncle and aunt would most likely be there.

As she made her way through the house for them, she realized it would be simpler to text them, as she was very tired, and only had so much energy to spare.

So she texted both of them a simple, "I'm home," and left it at that, then went to her bedroom, her footsteps sloppy and slow.

✧ ☾ ✧