Chapter Forty: Apologies and Friends

{———}

"Marinette~" her peppy Uncle sang from the other side of the door, his morning person mood shining as bright as the sun as he knocked a song against Marinette's door with his fist.

Marinette woke up quickly, shooting up out of bed in hopes of forcing energy into herself, only for a wave of exhaustion to shoot through her shortly after.

The knocking against her door quickened. "Marinette~"

She huffed in annoyance and quickly hurried into her morning routine, knowing that her aunt would already be at the coffee machine, coaxing the liquid out of the non-living object.

"Marinette~" Her uncle said once again.

She sighed lowly before finally replying, knowing that he would just continue. "Thank you, I'm up."

She struggled midway into her routine when she failed to find her school uniform's tie where she normally kept it, delaying her slightly.

Eventually, though, she found it nestled between the wall and her bed, which was a very chaotic spot to maneuver the tie out of.

A few minutes later, she was able to drag herself out of her room—many thanks to the assistance of Tikki—looking decent enough to show herself into the public eye.

She quickly made her way downstairs, the smell of coffee filtering through her nose as the smell became more noticeable the farther she went down the steps.

When she finally made her way to the kitchen, to which she found her aunt's slumped figure clinging to the coffee machine, a cup of coffee was sat down in her usual spot on the counter, steam wisping off of it.

Marinette smiled faintly, and picked it up, her senses opening up slightly more from the aroma of it alone.

Marinette greeted Penny quickly with a smile and a nod of her head, knowing that her aunt did not mind not speaking in the morning. Penny—by definition—was simply not a morning person.

Marinette found this amusing, as her uncle was completely the opposite, though he was also a night owl.

He just seemed to never run out of energy. It was a trait that Marinette slightly envied.

Breakfast soon passed quickly, making Marinette nervous as she realized that it was time for her to head to school.

Her head's bruise had turned an interesting yellow-brown color, which told her it was mid-way through bruising. Her headaches, while scattered and quick to dissolve away, were minor enough for her to deal with one should she experience one during her classes for the day.

Faster than she could blink, she was opening the door to the limo, and heading her way into the entrance of the school.

She quickly set out for her first class, knowing that Damian would most likely already be there. This was the prime time for her to apologize.

Hardly no one but her was in the hallway, making her hyper aware of all the sounds around her.

A few times, she looked behind her, her nerves from the earlier attack driving this action. She knew she was safe, but she was still on edge.

She quickly arrived in the classroom, her eyes automatically searching the room for Damian.

He was sitting in the back row, his eyes on her—or rather, the doorway at which she currently was standing in.

Marinette offered him a small smile before slowly walking over to him, stopping just a few feet away from him.

"I-I wanted to apologize," she started, her face reddening just the slightest in embarrassment as she recalled how she had acted when they had met up. "I was rude to you for no reason."