Chapter Fifty-One: Smile and Gas

Damian watched as his brother ran around the Theater room, grabbing blankets and handing him a numerous amount of treats, all of which were greasy looking to some amount. The did, however, look appealing to Damian, which was something he was surprised about. Surely there was no way that a food that looked so. . . irrevocably stomach-churning could smell so alluring. Instead of eating it, he sat it along his seat's arm, deciding to settle in before tasting such suspicious food.

When Grayson finally decided to sit down, he looked not in the least bit tired, though his excitement was still clear in his eyes as he forced a tangle of covers onto his chair and leaned it back. He, too, then grabbed some of his food, but unlike Damian, he started shoving it into his mouth hastily.

When he looked over at Damian, he shot him a look. Damian who knew exactly what sort of trouble was to be caused by not listening to Grayson, warily picked up the bowl of popcorn, of which was seasoned with caramel. Damian slowly picked up a single piece of popcorn and let it slip into his mouth.

After a moment, he pushed another in, letting a content noise flow from his mouth, putting a grin on his brother's face. Satisfied, Grayson turned away from him and focused instead on the television as it started to roll the first film.

"You only care for sugary things," Damian observed suddenly, his voice low but loud enough to carry over to Grayson, who immediately glared at him.

Grayson took a look at the popcorn and shoved more into his mouth, "I have no clue what you're talking about."

He smiled at Damian, turning back toward the movie. The lights were off, so it was not as dirty way to see his face through the darkness, but the light from the television did well to illuminate the room.

"Do you have any idea when father might return?" Damian asked reluctantly, his fingers stilling over the popcorn in his bowl, his body growing rigid as he watched Grayson's reaction.

His brother slowly looked back at him, his eyebrows drawing a look of concern, and if he looked closely, disappointment, though Damian knew this was not directed at him. His intuition, if nothing else, was telling him so.

Damian contained himself, his brother's hesitancy to open up the subject giving him an undesirable surge of annoyance. Not long after, shame followed. His father was not talking to him, but he must have sent something to Grayson; he was the more trustworthy son, after all.

He had failed his father a many series of times. Even now, as he improved, he continued to fail him. If he was not so prone to failure when it came to his father's orders, he might have had a chance at joining his father on his mission. His father would have to be alone, he could have someone who he could trust. It would be amazing to have that happen, for his father to willingly chose him. The first time they had ever met, Damian had been forced into his own father's hands, giving him not choice but to take him in.

"No," his brother admitted, his voice smoothly controlled, though only just, "he hasn't answered any of the messages we've sent. We don't think he intends to either."

This made Damian frown, his father thought it was a piority to keep in contact with other members of the family during missions. If something went wrong, they needed to know was soon as possible as time wa sus half of the essence. If someone missed a scheduled call or something of the sort, skepticism would start to arise.

"We're working on it," Grayson promised, taking in Damian's reaction.

Damian turned back to the movie, his eyebrows furrowed, though he was not nervous or tense. He was simply in deep thought.

"I know," Damian agreed, "you care of father just like I. You are trustworthy."

Grayson smiled fondly, his eyes softening at Damian's words. He looked at the covers Damian was nestled in and tucked them under him a bit more, fretting over him for but a moment.

When a liar gets you left behindOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara