Ch. 3 ) How to Teach Dummies

────────── ·  ·  ·  ·  ♡

It is after school. Anya is at the library, sitting down at a table. As she waits for Damian, she fell asleep yet again. Damian comes in, not surprised to see she has knocked out. This time he tries waking her up himself.

He kneels down, and grabs her shoulder then begins to shake her. "Hey, stubby legs, hey!" He kept on shaking her.

She slowly wakes up. I fell asleep again??  She looked at him, her vision starting to clear up.

Damian stands up, with an annoyed expression on his face. "Wake up! I can't keep on babysitting you like this." 

Hello to you too.. "Not my fault you take so long." She said, irritated how Damian is so rude.

"Yeah, yeah. (not my fault either y'kno?)" He began to put his stuff down. Last night, I was able to look into different types of learners. After my research, Anya seems to be a kinesthetic learner, basically meaning she gets bored easily. I tried thinking of ways I could tutor her, without her tuning out. Damian takes out a mini whiteboard and marker from his book bag. The white board was a foot long.

Out of curiosity, Anya asks, "You brought a whiteboard??"

He nods. "I need to physically show you notes, and to write out problems. Or else you will get tired of just hearing me explain everything to you." 

Anya tilted her head, she was intrigued for what Damian has in store for her. He is sort of like papa, he overthinks a lot. 

"Alright, we will start with algebra. I'll teach you a few basic equations for now." He changed seats, and sat right next to Anya, so she can see the whiteboard clearly. She's so close. 

He drew out each equation at a time on the white board,  going step by step with Anya, while asking if she understands right after every step. I have to be patient with her, or else she won't be able to learn properly. How can I proudly call myself a Desmond if I can't even teach well? It'd hurt my pride! 

·  ·  · 

Time goes by, and Damian finally finished going through the equations he wanted. It hasn't been too long. This is probably a good time for her to take a break. Kinesthetic learners can't spend a long time only studying, unlike me. He put the whiteboard down. "Okay, how about you take a break? We will start again in a bit."

Anya drops her pencil on the textbook. "YAY! Freedom at lastt!!" I feel smart for once! I am understanding some of these math questions. She leans back in her chair with pride.

Damian opened up a word search puzzle booklet, and handed it over to Anya. "Here, do this page."

"Whaaat? Sy-on boy is making me work still?" What about free time???? Her expression turned sad.

"I can't be letting you do whatever you want, or else you are gonna be completely out of the study zone." He taps his finger on the word puzzle. "It's easy anyways, just do it!"

She humphs. Sy-on boy is really taking this seriously.. maybe too seriously. But she starts doing the puzzle anyways.

As she works on the puzzle Damian looked through the textbook.

·  ·  ·

Anya competes the word search puzzle, and tells Damian. 

He looked at the puzzle, just in case. "Okay, you did it correctly. I thought you might screw it up." *💢* "..Let's continue on with English then." He didn't use the whiteboard this time, since they were going to be reading a passage from the textbook.

While making Anya read the passage out loud, Damian told her where to underline, highlight, and to annotate. "Try finding key words and circle them. This will be helpful when you start answering the questions." He told her. Anya nodded, and did as he told her to do.

They finished reading it. "Go answer the questions by yourself. You've taken enough notes on the text by now." He put his elbow on the table, and rested his face on his hand.

Anya closed her eyes and frowned. "I don't know how to answer these questions. They're too confusing!!"  Looking at the questions make my head spin!

Damian contemplated on how to get her motivated. "If you enjoy reading about spies so much, then pretend you are one right now! Solve these questions like the world depends on it." He was giving his own advice to her. 

She stopped frowning. In a way, he was sort of right about that. But it seems she needs one extra push to get her fully motivated.

"Uh.. and if you solve these correctly I'll give you peanuts." He reluctantly said. 

This made Anya open her eyes, having glimmer of excitement in them. "Say no more!!!" She got to work immediately.

He looked at her working, baffled. Wow, is that really her motivation?  He shook his head in disappointment.

·  ·  ·  · ────────────────────── ·  ·  ·  ·  

The teenagers eventually finish studying together, this time Anya has her phone with her, so she'll be able to call Becky this time. They start walking out of the library together.

"Make sure you finish your homework, use the notes we made together. Okay?" He's being really on top of her.

"Yes, yes. I will." She stretches her arms after writing for so long. "My arms and neck hurt so much!!" She complained.

He rolled his eyes. "Quit whining! I'm the one who should be complaining right now. I had to try figuring out how to teach an idiot like you!" 

She pouted at him. He's still mean as ever!! "I didn't do so bad today though!" She defended herself, "I did everything you asked me to."

Thanks to me, you've actually learned something. "Oh, speaking of which." He took a bag of peanuts from his backpack, and handed it to Anya. "Here. I'm a man of my word."

Anya took the bag with glee and opened it eagerly. "FINALLYY! I'm so hungryyy!!!" stuffing her face with a bunch of peanuts. 

The boy blushed a bit. The way she stuffed her face with peanuts reminded him of a squirrel. "S-slow down!"

Becky's driver comes by, but it is just the driver. Becky didn't have time to come today.

Anya notices the car pull up. "That's Becky's car!! I need to go now!" She started walking towards the car. As she opens the door she looks at Damian and waves goodbye to him. "Bye-bye, Sy-on boy!!" 

He gets embarrassed and looks away. "Don't fall asleep next time we meet!!!" He yelled back at her, then started to walk back to his dorm.

The girl makes an annoyed expression, then hops in the car. Today I've made progress with Sy-on boy! I'm starting to feel confident that I'm gonna stay in the same class with him and Becky. She smiles in excitement, thinking things may just turn out fine.

However, little does Anya know that what the future holds won't be very pleasant for her or her loved ones.

────────── ·  ·  ·  ·  ♡

This one is short, but Damian has figured out how to teach Anya.

What a miracle!

~ Michi