Ch. 37 ) Together Again

────────── ·  ·  ·  · 

Anya... I'm sorry I couldn't save you. I tried, but I kept failing. I just wanted to protected you─ to be by ur side, because I.. I...

Damian's eyes slowly open, the light piercing through the blinds shine upon his face. He awakens and finds Anya sitting on a chair beside his hospital bed, giving a bright smile.

"You're awake!" she spoke to him in an enthusiastic tone.

Damian's brain was still waking up. "M-morning..." It had been a few weeks since he'd first awoken from his coma. The boy appeared taller and more mature after 3 years, with his hair grown a few inches longer.

Anya found his sleepy face to be cute. "Slept well, Sy-on?"

"Mhm." His voice still wasn't fully adapted, since he had been asleep for 3 years. Taking speech therapy has helped him improve a lot by now, but still needs some work.

Damian slowly sat up on his bed and his vision fully clears up. Now, he can see Anya clearly. She looks even more beautiful than when she was younger. His heart monitor starts to beep faster.

"Oh no, not again." Anya went to get a nurse.

The nurse diligently monitors his well-being by evaluating his blood pressure and breathing patterns. After they've checked his health, Anya makes sure Damian gets a good meal, considering what's best for him to eat. She also gives him his daily medication. This way, Anya helps keep Damian healthy and on track with his treatment.

Afterwards, Anya wanted to stay longer with Damian so they begin to chat.

"I still can't believe how much you look older," he said.

Anya gave a chuckle. "Well, you were asleep for a while. You've changed too!"

"Yeah. It feels weird, but in a good way." Damian continues, "Speaking of which, what has really happened since I... you know." 

The mood becomes serious. 

Anya explains to him that their friends are now in university and that she is learning to become a spy from her father. She also mentions that her family fostered Rayne until she became old enough to live on her own. Anya then shares a couple of memories she's made with their friends throughout the year, including graduation day.

Damian feels bittersweet emotions while hearing all of this. "I'm glad things have been going well for you and everyone. Wish I could've been there though."

"Me too," Anya said, her expression saddening. "You have no idea how long I've been waiting for you to wake up."

Tears were forming in her eyes. "I started to think that maybe you would never wake up... and if you didn't then I wouldn't know what to do for the rest of my life, or if I could even be happy, or-"

The girl was spiraling, so Damian carefully reach out his hand and onto her cheek. "You don't have to wait anymore," he soothes her. "Even after all of that, you always stood by my side."

"Thank you for never giving up on me," Damian gave a sincere smile. "I love you."

The warmth and comfort of his caress helped her calm down. Anya smiles as well, "I love you too!" She bends over to Damian, kissing him.

·  ·  ·  · ──────────── ·  ·  ·  ·