LXVIII. The First Task - Dragons

I sigh as I pace nervously in the tent with the other champions. We all pause as we hear a dragon roar.

Harry walks towards the back of the tent as i pace nervously. Fleur approach's me hesitantly.

"I.. I wish you good luck. I'm sorry you have to be in the tournament when you didn't want too... it's not fair..." she mutters as I smile at the girl.

"It's alright, it's not your fault." I explain as she smiles softly at me.

Suddenly, the back of the tent jumps open as Hermione hugs Harry. A light flashes as I glare at skeeter.

"Young love." Skeeter says as she walks into the tent. "Oh, how... mm... stirring."

"If anything goes... unfortunately today, you two may even make the front page!" Skeeter exclaims as all the champions share a glance before krum approaches the woman.

"You have no business here." Krum states as fiat turns around. "This tent is for champions... and friends."

Skeeter laughs nervously as krum glares daggers at the woman. "No matter... we've, uh.. got what we wanted."

Rita laughs nervously as she hurries out of the tent with one last picture.

"Good day, champions." Dumbledore greets as he and some other people walk in the tent. "Gather round please."

"Now, you've waited, you've wondered, and at last, the moment has arrived!" Dumbledore explains as we walk over to him, he seemed to not notice Hermione yet.

"A moment only five of you can fully appreciate." Dumbledore says as he goes to glance at Harry and looks back only to do a double take when he notices Hermione.

"What are you doing here, miss granger?" Dumbeldore asks as Hermione backs away.

"Oh— um.. sorry, I'll just go." Hermione mutters as she walks out.

"Mr. Crouch, the bag." Dumbledore states as Barry walks forward.

"Champions, in a circle around me. Miss delacour, over here. Mr. Krum, over there. And mr potter.. there." He says as we gather in a circle.

"That's right. Now... miss delacour, if you will."  Crouch says as he opens the bag.

Fleur reaches her hand in and pulls out a mini green dragon.

"The welsh geeen..." crouch mutters as fleur looks down at the dragon confused.

"Mr krum." Crouch says as krum quickly pulls out a dragon.

"The Chinese fireball. Ooh..." crouch says before holding the bag out infront of Cedric. Cedric reaches his hand in and pulls out a yellow dragon.

"The Swedish short-snout." Crouch smiles at the boy before turning towards Harry.

"And mr potter.." he mutters as Harry reaches his hand in and pulls out the horntail.

"The Hungarian horntail..." crouch says as the small dragon tries to bite Harry.

"Which leaves..." crouch trails off as I pull out the Brazilian stormcrown with a grin on my face.

"These represent five very real dragons, each of which has been given a golden egg to protect. Your objective is simple: collect the egg. This you must do, for each egg contains a clue, without which you cannot hope to proceed to the next task." Crouch explains as Harry looks down nervously. "Any questions?"

"Very well. Good luck, champions. Mr. Diggory, at the sound of the cannon, you may—" dumbledore get cuts off by the sound of the cannon.

The crowd chants diggorys name as I look at him with worry and hope.

———

"Four of our champions have now faces their dragons, and so each one of them will proceed to the next task. And now our fifth and final contestant." Dumbledore exclaims over the microphone as I glance over and see a golden egg sitting apon many fuller yellow ones in the middle of the stone with the snake-like dragon curled around it protectively.

'Hello?' I ask as the crowd goes silent, many forgetting I could speak parseltounge.

'Who daressss speak my language and trespassssses apon my territory?!' The dragon hisses back as it glances around before its eyes land on me.

'I apologize, I never meant any I'll intent, I sssssimply am here to gather the fake egg planted apon your real onessss.' I explain as the dragon pauses.

'Fake?' It asks as I nod, stepping towards it.

'The golden egg issss fake, it will give me a clue for the next part of the tournament— which issss why you were brought here.' I explain as the dragon nods, letting me walk to the egg.

'Thank you.' I thank the dragon with a toothy grin as it nods before it curls around the rest of its eggs.

The crowd cheers as I laugh in amusement, that was too easy.

———

I open the egg in my dorm as a loud screeching sound emits from it, making me cover my ears before shutting it.

What a shitty clue...

———

I sit in the hall with Draco, Hermione, and Luna as a hufflepuff girl greets me with a blush on her face.

"Hi y/n..." she whispers shyly before running off with a red face.

"Look at this!" Hermione snaps as she shoves the daily prophet in my face. "I can't believe it! She's done it again!!"

"Miss granger, a plain but ambitious Slytherin girl, seems to be developing a taste for famous wizards. Her latest prey, sources report, is none other than the Bulgarian bonbon, viktor krum! No word yet on how Harry potter's taking this latest emotional blow. Who knows, maybe she'll go after his own sister next!" She reads off the daily prophet as I snort.