LXXXIII. Thestrals

I flip through the pages of my book in the library as i sit on the cushioned black couch.

Suddenly, the seat next to me sunk down as I glance over to see Hermione.

Hermione looks at me before her eyes trail down to my hand. "What's wrong with your hand?"

"Nothing..." i murmur as I hold up my unhurt hand, she glances at me with worry clear in her eyes as she holds my other hand.

"The other hand." She drags my hand into hers as she sharply inhales once she sees the writing on my hand.

Umbridge had made me write many more lines than Harry to the point where I would be surprised if it werent permanently damaged.

"You've got to tell a professor." She demands as I shake my head, snatching my hand out of her grasp.

"No. It doesn't matter... all the professors have enough on their minds with the entire Voldemort being back situation." I refuse as Hermione sighs, looking at me worriedly

———

I walk down to Hagrids hut with Harry, I go to knock on the door but paused when I hear howling.

I glance up along with Harry as we see a horse-like being along with wings flying around before landing in the forest.

We glance at eachother before walking into the forest.

Once we approach the tall trees, the leaves under our fear crumpled as we approach the howling.

We reach an area in the woods which had a lake as there were a couple of the boney creatures trotting around.

I turn my head to see luna petting one, she seemed to not have shoes on as we approach her.

"Hello, Harry and y/n." She greets without even glancing at us.

"Your feet. Aren't they cold?" Harry asks as she glances down before turning towards us.

"A bit. Unfortunately, all my shoes have mysteriously disappeared. I suspect nargles are behind it." She answers before looking back at the creature.

"What are they?" Harry inquired as luna smiles softly.

"They're called thestrals. They're quite... gentle, really. But... people avoid them because they're a bit..." luna explains before trailing off as a baby thestral screeches as it walks towards us.

"Different." I finish her sentence as luna nods while walking towards the baby thestral.

"But why can't the others see them?" Harry asks as luna pauses, glancing at him as him and I walk next to her.

"They can only be seen by people who've seen death." Luna answers as Harry nods slowly.

"So... you've known someone who's died then?" Harry asks as luna nods, looking at him.

"My mother. She was quite an extraordinary witch, but... she did like to experiment, and one day, one of her spells went badly wrong. I was nine." She explains as Harry looks at her sadly.

"I'm sorry." He apologizes as luna simply looks at the thestral.

"Yes, it was rather horrible. I do feel very sad about it sometimes... but I've got my father. I am glad about what happened that night." She mutters as Harry glances at her in confusion.

"That he-who-must-not-be-named died, by a past version of himself at that..." she clarifies as Harry flinches.

"She seems to always know what's going on." I remark with a grin tugging on my lips as luna smiles.

She grabs an apple as she rolls it over to the baby thestral who quickly eats it.

"Well we should be going now." Harry comments as he waved at luna before walking off.

"Yeah, I'll see you soon luna!" I say before walking over to catch up with Harry.

I pause as I glance back at luna who was petting a thestral.

"Accio Luna's belongings" I cast as nothing happened for a moment before three pairs of shoes landed infront of me, along with some jewelry and a few hats.

"Here, if anyone takes them again, just tell me." I say to the girl who smiles at me.