22. Past...

"Wow it smells so good, mom" I said as I went inside the kitchen where my mom was cooking dinner. She makes the best food ever in the world.

"What are you making today?" I asked her.

"It's roasted beef with vegetables" she told me with her sweet smile that she always mister up for me.

"I am hungry now" I groaned.

"Go set the plates, Marco would he here any minute and the dinner is almost ready" she told me and I rolled my eyes at Marco. After that day when I was 12 and he had first beaten me, it was a routine for him since then. He would try to find reasons to hit me and beat me, my mother would always come for my help and in that he would take out his anger out on her resulting in both of us beaten to pulp. I hate him but I am also sacred of him.

I once tried to complaint a report against him but somehow he came to knew about it as that police officer snitch on me, he was his friend. Later it results in him killing me half to death if it not for my mother I would have been dead that day. Since then I remain silent and silently watch him hurt me and my mother. Its nothing we can do, many people know him in this town and he always knew everything of we try to run or tell anyone so we stopped and have now accepted defeat.

I am 14 now and sometimes I really wish that he dies or someone come save us hopefully my father but no he has left us to fend for ourselves. Whenever I aske my mother of my father she would always change the topic by saying that what left in past must remain in past.

I was setting the plates when the front door open with a loud thud telling us about the arrival of  devil. He came in and was high as always. He cursed at us and then sat on his chair around the table.

"Bring me food" he said as he pushed me away by force and I fell on the floor. I was angry but I know this anger would only lead us to more beating and I don't want my mother to be hurt just because I couldn't keep my anger in. I stood and went inside the kitchen and take the food as my mother brings the water with her. We sat on our chairs on his both sides as he was on the head chair.

My mother served his food and then she served me. We start eating but was stopped when he threw a fit and throw the plate full of food on the ground. I kept eating knowing very well what going to happen and what he is trying to do.

"What is this? Why is it so spicy?" He asked my mother and let me tell you it wasn't spicy.

"I am sorry" my mother apologized even when she knew there wasn't her mistake.

"Go make something else for me, you have 5 minutes" he said and I looked up at him with shock. How can she make something in such a small time? I looked at my mother who stood and went to kitchen. I was worried for her but kept my eyes to my plate as I ate. He was now smoking and I would cough once a while because of the bad smell and smoke but as always he didn't care. He does this to get a reaction from us which now we don't give him.

My mother came after 5 minutes with a pasta that she had already made for lunch. He was surprised to see that she brought him food.

"Here" she said and then sat down about to eat her food. He took one bite and then threw the food on th floor again.

"What is this rubbish?" He said and I fisted my hand in anger trying to control my temper. He is getting on my nerves!

"You bitch! Can't you make anything good, you piece of shit." He held my mother with her hairs, she was in pain as I was about to stop him my mother shake her head at me and I stopped looking down. I felt my eyes filling with tears at my powerlessness. I want to kill this man but I know I am not strong enough. Now he was hitting her and kicking her as she was on her floor. I closed my eyes but I could still hear my mother's cries and whimpers. That's it I can't unsee it. I stood up from my chair with loud screech. I picked the glass jug and hit it on his head as he stumbled. He turned around stumbling and then he fell down on the floor. The pool of blood gathered around his head.