Chapter 152: Raider City Attack (Part 2)

Ouyang Shuo stood on the west city tower and looked towards the north sky where 3 signal bullets were shot up, heaving a sigh of relief. Based on a rule in Shanhai Town army, 3 signal bullets meant that they encountered an enemy and smoothly forced them away.

Huoda's mood wasn't as relaxed as Ouyang Shuo's. The water bandits that escaped didn't dare to really disappear and instead sent people up to the shore to report to their main leader.

When he received the news, it was already 10 AM. At that time, all the sieging weapons were already assembled, and even the floating bridge that was meant as a hoax had been done.

At that time, to suddenly get the news that the water army had lost and that even his brother Huo Liu had been captured as a prisoner, this made him furious and kill the messenger on the spot.

Originally he wanted to coordinate with the water bandits to divert more of Shanhai Town's defences, but who would've thought that they were well-prepared and had a proper navy.

There was no point in waiting any longer. Huoda made the decision to launch a full-scale attack on the west gate.

Every side of Shanhai Town was 3 km long, and based on the average of every soldier taking up one meter, in theory it could have a row of 3 thousand men. 6 thousand raiders could only form two rows.

Of course wars weren't fought like that, and Huoda wouldn't stupidly spread out his attacking forces. Facing a stone wall, the only way to breakthrough was to attack the gate.

3000 basic raiders were placed at the front to waste and use up the defensive resources of Shanhai Town, paving the way for the 2 thousand elite soldiers in the back.

As for the 1000 cavalrymen led by Heiqi, they couldn't play much of a part in attacking the city, and were sent to the wings to protect the forces.

Facing the raiders that charged forwards, the archers on top of the city walls started firing. Unfortunately, they only had 2 bowmen and 2 crossbowmen squadrons, so their numbers were too little and their killing ability too small.

One round of firing could cause at most 200 casualties. After 3 rounds, the raiders had already reached the walls and at that time, the archers amongst the elite raiders started to retaliate.

To make up for the deficit, the raiders assembled a movable arrow tower. The elite raiders stood on top of the tower and fired towards the wall. Hence, archers on both sides fired at each other to get rid of the long range threat from each side.

The 3000 raiders leading the charge obviously weren't empty-handed. The 15 assembled ladders were pushed onto the city walls. Once they were able to hook onto the wall, the raiders hiding below them could quickly climb onto the wall.

General Shi, who was in charge of the defense, upon finding out about the ladders, ordered 800 sword shield soldiers to re-organize their defensive region and arranged 50 men around every ladder. The last 50 were reserves to be prepared to assist any defensive region.

The large amounts of rolling wood and giant stones were thrown down by the soldiers. Each strike would cause many deaths, and this prevented the raiders from being able to climb up the walls.

At the same time, in the back lines of the raiders, 5 catapults were in position and had started to toss stone balls. The giant stone balls smashed into the walls, and the soldiers that were hit instantly became piles of meat paste.

Seeing the brutal scene, Mu Lanyue couldn't handle it, going into the resting room in the tower to take a break.

Seeing the city protection soldiers at a disadvantage, the god machine unit started to show their strength. The two 3 bow 8 cow bed crossbows started to aim at the 5 catapults under Wang Fengyuan's orders. After a round of arrows, the raiders who were using the catapult were shot down.