Chapter 181: Spending Spree

The lightning operation went unexpectedly smooth, and they didn't face any unexpected situations.

After completing the operation, the soldiers gathered all the residents together. They arranged for the residents to bring back all the material and resources to Shanhai County.

These villages were located outside of the territory of Shanhai County, so Ouyang Shuo decided to leave all of them empty. Once the territory area increases, these villages could act as settlements.

At that time, the farmers could be brought into the villages and reclaim farmland to plant rice. Then, it would slowly become a village under Shanhai County. They could open up the vast areas of land.

6th month, 26th day, 5:30 p.m.

The east and west armies brought back 7200 prisoners as well as large amounts of goods and resources to Shanhai County.

As it was already late, Ouyang Shuo didn't arrange for them to enter the city. Instead, he let them spend the night outside the city. Anyways, it was summer and the nights weren't cold. They also had tents, so it wasn't too hard on them.

Ouyang Shuo didn't have an interest in keeping the resources that were brought here, so he distributed it to the villagers. With that, it would lessen the hatred that they had toward Shanhai County.

The next day, the Household Registration Division started to work.

They had already created a perfect process for dealing with refugees and prisoners.

The Household Registration Division were situated at the north and west sides. There were specific points to welcome new refugees. When they arrived, the officials would help register them and place them into the household registry of Shanhai County.

After that, the official would split the refugees up based on their talents and occupations.

Farmer, fruit farmer, miner, lumberjack, and breeder—these occupations were suitable for living outside the city, so they were sent to the various settlements after they collected their basic welfare package. When they reached the settlement, the officer would arrange their living.

The Agriculture Division and Material Reserves Department had workers to help and assist the household registration division.

Artisans, tailors, businesspeople, and the like—these talented individuals were sent to the post house, which will be in charge of their meals and housing. The Household Registration Division would send recommendation letters according to the individual's occupation. They could use these letters to find a suitable job.

After they found a job, the refugee would have to leave the post house and rent a house in the residential area for living purposes.

The construction division had built some resettlement houses for the refugees to rent.

With a fixed house, they could go to the Material Reserves Department and claim their welfare package.

After they had worked a while and settled down, they could go to the four seas bank to take a loan to buy the house that they had rented with a sizeable amount of savings.

With extra money, they could go to the market and buy some poultry to rear at home. The hardworking ones could buy vegetables or seeds to grow in their yards.

The even richer ones could go to the garment workshop to buy new clothing or the jewelry shop to buy jewelry. They could even occasionally head to the hotel to drink, or the tea house for tea, or the theatre to watch shows and listen to songs.

A large portion of refugees ended up there and just led their lives nicely. The younger chaps would consider their futures and marry to get kids.

As for the generals, scholars, and special talents, they would be recommended to the secretary of the household registration—Duquan.