Chapter 3: Body Double (Part 1)

JUGHEAD VO: Guilt, innocence

JUGHEAD VO: Guilt, innocence. Good, evil. Life, death. As the shadows around Riverdale deepened, the lines that separated these polar opposites blurred and distorted."I'm guilty," Cheryl said in Biology class. But of what?

                 - - - - PRINCIPAL OFFICE - - - -
   After proclaiming in the middle of class that she was guilty. Cheryl was escorted by Principal Weatherbee, Sheriff Keller, and Deputy Sheriff George Stacy to the Principal's office to get to the bottom of what really happens, that 4th of July.

Cheryl: To clarify, I didn't mean I was guilty of killing Jason.I loved him more than I do myself. But I am guilty of lying about what happened on July 4th.

Sheriff Keller: The autopsy puts his death about July 11th. When was the last time you saw your brother?

Cheryl: It was July 4th. I don't know what happened the week after that, but...

Deputy Sheriff Stacy: Cheryl, in your own words, what happened at Sweetwater River?

  Cheryl is at a loss of words. Not only does she not know what to say, she also doesn't know if she can trust the authority figures that stand in front of her. Being the father of a teenage girl, Deputy George Stacy knew exactly what to say and knew he needed to gain Cheryl's trust, in order to get the answers they needed.

Deputy Sheriff Stacy: Look, I know this is difficult for you to process. I mean, I can't imagine what you're going through. But we can't help stop the bastard, who did this, if you don't tell us what really happened. So Cheryl, please, tell us what happened.

   Unlike the other men in front of her, Cheryl felt that she could trust Deputy Stacy and decided to tell him what happened.

Cheryl: The plan was bananas, even for me. Jason wanted to leave Riverdale and never come back. He asked for my help to stage a tragic accident, so that our mom and dad wouldn't come after him. Our story would be, we went for an early morning boat ride, and the boat tipped, and capsized, and Jason drowned. In fact, we made it to the other side dry as bones. We said goodbye on the Greendale side of Sweetwater River.

  Cheryl begins to choke up. She's doing her best to hold back her tears buts they're about to come out. Deputy Stacy grabs a box of tissues off of Weatherbees desk and pulls out a wad and hands them to Cheryl.

Deputy Stacy: It's okay. Don't rush. What happen after that.

Cheryl: He promised he'd call me as soon as he was in a place where he couldn't be reached or pulled back by our parents. One month, at the most. Every day, I waited for him to call, for an email.

Deputy Sheriff Stacy: You tell anyone about the plan?
Anyway that you can corroborate it?

Sheriff Keller: And you have no idea why your brother wanted to run away, fake his own death? Doesn't that seem cruel?