Chapter 3: NuNew's Life Detours

NuNew Chawarin Perdpiriyawong was a 20-year-old prodigy. While waiting for his flight home to Thailand, he couldn't help remembering everything that had happened when he arrived in the United States.

His parents and brother gave him a priceless opportunity he would never forget. Now he was returning home to use that knowledge in his country.

NuNew was never bitter about having to leave his home and family. But he knew he was different from the moment he started school.

He had always been more intelligent than other kids in his class, even the older ones when he was going to school.

His I.Q. was so high, and his thirst for knowledge so great that the school released him at nine. He had completed all the school's coursework, which amazed the school. Most children didn't complete the curriculum until they were eighteen.

The reality, the school, had nothing more they could teach him. The Dean of schools told Ma and Pa that no one knew what to do with him.

His parents had petitioned the Thailand universities in their area so that he may begin his higher education. Every university denied them.

They felt that his age was too young to manage the social interactions of the university students and too immature in age to be an asset to the school.

NuNew was upset but knew there was nothing they could do. He had already accepted it and had found ways to continue learning.

That is until Pa returned from work a few days later and told his family they were moving to the United States for a year.

They knew they had family there. They could plan for NuNew to study and stay once the rest of the family had to return home.

NuNew was happy to hear the news. He knew America would have more learning opportunities. He had always wanted to study in America. But sad that his family could only stay with him for a year.

NuNew hugged him, "Thank you, Pa."

His Pa touched his hair with tears in his eyes, "How could I be happy when you were so sad? Go pack. We leave in two days. Your Uncle said we must hurry because the school year for Tee has just started. College classes start at the beginning of next month."

NuNew was afraid his brother would be angry that he was being taken away from his friends and the rest of their family. NuNew decided to go to Tee's room and talk it out. That is what brothers do.

NuNew tentatively knocked on Tee's door, 'Tee, can we talk? "

Tee was expecting his brother. NuNew was so sensitive and caring that he would give up his dream if Tee didn't want to go. He knew that he was NuNew's only chance to live his dream, and he wanted that for him.

He wanted NuNew to be happy. He knew his brother was special and needed to go to America, where he could fulfill his potential.

Tee and NuNew spent all night talking about their dreams and the excitement of a new place.

"Thank you, Tee, you are giving me my dream, and one day I will help you achieve a dream of yours, I promise!" NuNew threw himself at his brother and hugged him tightly.

They held each other, talking about their new adventure until NuNew's eyes closed, and he fell asleep.

Just like when they were younger, the boys slept happily. The excitement of a new place and new adventures filled their dreams.

When NuNew woke up, his brother was gone. He was so excited; his brother didn't care where he went. If he could play sports, he would be happy.

His brother-like himself, had his life all planned out. He would go to university and obtain a Bachelor of Sports degree. He would play for a sports team.