Chapter 17: Letting Go

Summary:

Zeus and Zee race to Tartarus to rescue Nu. The dragon has a plan, the twins are conscious, and life is turning inside out for Zee as he worries for the health and welfare of his lifemate. How could all these things happen to them all at once? Zee was overwhelmed, Zeus was determined to save his son, and Nu was unconscious. The only thing that they knew was that they had to save the one they loved the most. None could live without him. Literally.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for .)

Chapter Text

Zee

Zee felt Zeus join him in attempting to subdue his father. The added strength of the two men pressed Ares hard against the cell wall, and it wasn't enough. He could still give them a hard time, and Zee was concerned that they would fail to contain him.

Why did they think they could subdue him with brute strength and not bring something to tie him up? Neither father nor lifemate figured they would need a proper rescue party, and their focus was what mattered most to them. Nu.

His father was strong, and he would soon gain purchase. If they did not do something soon, Ares would break free. He hoped his father-in-law had a plan. His thoughts were squarely on the man lying on the cold stone ground.

"Don't move," Zee screamed at his father as he turned back towards him and redoubled his efforts to hold him in place.

He needed help with focusing when it came to Nu. His love was all-consuming, and he must win against his father. There was no other choice. Between his love-hate relationship with his father and his all-encompassing love of Nu, his lifemate won hands down.

Zee pushed harder against his father as he felt his grip slip. At that moment, he felt the room become warm and snap like an electric current had invaded the space, and the hair on his arm stood on end.

Nothing prepared him for the sensation of the air being sucked out of the room like a vacuum. It was so disturbing and made him flinch. Something he never wanted to experience again in any lifetime and made him want to grab his lifemate and forget his father.

Zee had never felt anything like this foreign power that had entered the cell. Zee had never imagined so much energy could be released at once, and it had a taste he was unfamiliar with. Whoever was coming or doing it scared him. He wondered if one of the Titans had escaped and they were in immediate danger.

That is until Zee turned to ask Zeus and was dumbfounded. He had heard what he was seeing but never witnessed it in all his time on Olympus. Zee blinked, not believing what his eyes were seeing. No one could have told him, nor would he have felt it if they did, but it was there!

A gold thread flew from Zeus's hand. He was so shaken, amused, and scared that he almost laughed out loud. He wanted so badly to yell, "Hey, Spiderman!" But even he knew that his father-in-law had his limits, even for a son.

He managed to keep his cool, but it was hard not to laugh. He watched, astonished, as the thin thread wrapped around his father. It moved so fast that before he realized it, it had snaked around Ares's hands and feet, wrapping tighter with each loop.

He heard his father gasp, and he began to struggle in earnest. Was he determined to free himself before Zeus's magic web? No, he couldn't think that without almost bursting out laughing. He chose a better word. Thread. His father screamed and was red-faced with fury.