Chapter 15: Finding the Balance

Summary:

Life has been good. For the last two hundred years, Zee and Nu had been learning, growing, and training in the god realm. With their kitten July by their side, they are now a team and a family. Zee is making his grand confession and proposal, but Ares makes a surprise visit. What could a god who treated his son so poorly for finding love want to show up to see him get engaged? Zeew is finding his balance between his past and present, but one person he doesn't want to see is his father, Ares. Does his father want to see him fail? Does he want to destroy all he has worked so hard for?

Zee

As Zee was about to answer Nu about his connection to Ares, his father decided to wink back, standing in the same place as before, looking even more defiant. Zeus landed next to him seconds later, and his face showed displeasure.

"Ares, this is not the time," Zeus reprimanded him and pulled on his arm, but he refused to move.

Zee was confused and could honestly say he was angry to see him return. He knew this could be trouble, and it was just like his father to interrupt the most pivotal moment in his life.

"Peace, I need to find the balance, lifemate. I have a need," Zee sent through their bond.

Nu immediately sent peace and love and resumed his defensive posture to protect him. July, their incredible and, if you asked him, magnificent kitten, took his place in front of Nu and hissed loudly, making his displeasure known to all who attended.

The entire population of Olympus, including the other mothers, attended the grand confession and engagement. July, Zee, and Nu could see no one else but the threat in front of them.

But if they could, they could see the attendees were ready to pounce on Ares if he decided to do something stupid. The kitten had become very protective of Nu, and he trusted no one except the two of them to keep Nu safe from harm.

July declared the god realm unsafe for the one they loved. July insisted he had nightmares that their Nu would be beaten and broken beyond repair somewhere in Olympus, but he could never see who did it. It still haunted the kitten enough that he lost his hair for a month from the stress of his dreams.

They both would never survive the heartbreak if something happened to Nu. He was their life. The kitten usually took his cues from him, but July sprang into action when Nu's bond began to bleed fear.

Even Zeus felt it physically, and his thunderbolt instantly appeared in his hand. After searching for the threat, Zeus realized Nu perceived Ares as a threat to his lifemate and the reason for his distress.

"Ares, you have troubled my son and ruined his special moment with his lifemate. If they fail to make their gems from their tears, I will personally send you to Hades for punishment. You will pay for your interference," Zeus said in a low voice that only Ares could hear.

Zee put his arms around Nu and laid his chin on his shoulder to comfort him. Nu was ready to battle Ares despite his fear and would defend Zee no matter the cost if it came down to it.

Zee glared at his father for causing such a reaction in his lifemate. He saw his father's raised eyebrow at Nu's posture and determination to defend against him.

"Interesting," Ares murmured.

Zee could tell his father was now curious about his lifemate, and he did not like that, not one bit. He glared at his father, refusing to back down, and Zee could feel it when July decided to stand right in front of the perceived threat.