16: Realisation

Devyn was sat with her mom in the kitchen. Lorelai was sorting out some papers and Devyn was reading 'Alice in wonderland' which was her favourite book. However, she could not concentrate at all. Lorelai noticed this.

'Dev, you ok?' Lorelai asked, 'Your not concentrating on your book which is very unlike you considering it is your favourite.'

Devyn looked up from her book. 'Yes. I'm fine.' Lorelai gave her a look. ' Ok no maybe i'm not but, oh I don't know.'

'Wanna talk about it?' Lorelai offers.

'Well where do I start.' Devyn sighs putting down her book. 'I don't know what is going on. I just broke up with Jack, and I really liked him, but then he broke my heart and that. And now I think I like someone else but I don't think he would ever think of me that way. It would ruin our friendship and stuff and I don't want that. He probably doesn't want that.'

Devyn start playing with a bracelet around her wrist.

'Well,' Lorelai began, 'Can you first tell me who you may or may not like?' Devyn looked up.

'Jess.' She whispered.

'Did you just say Jess? As in the same Jess that is Lu-'

'-Luke's nephew. Yes' Devyn said.

Lorelai stared at her daughter for a moment. She thought of an answer very carefully for her youngest daughter.

'Now I may not like Jess but I like you so i'm going to be very very honest right now.' Lorelai said, knowing about Devyns growing trust issues. Devyn nodded, gesturing for her mom to continue. 'From what i've witnessed whem you too are together, there is something. You may deny it all you like but he definitely doesn't have friendship on his mind.'

'But then why did he get with Shane?' Devyn asked, slightly confused.

'To make you jealous.' Lorelai replied is a 'duhh' tone.

'Ok but I don't see it.'

'God you're so difficult.' Lorelai said, slightly laughing. 'Do you think he would've got in a fight with your ex boyfriend if he didn't like you. Do you think he would've helped you in the car accident if he didn't like you-'

'Any decent person would have done that.'

'-and there is more, many more. Now you have to believe me when I say this, he likes you.'

Devyn sat there, silently debating whether or not this was true. Could he like me. I mean there's always a chance. Maybe I should wait. Maybe I shouldn't. Maybe I should just leave the country so I don't have to bother with all this drama. But then I would probably be back the next day so that's no use. Devyns thought about all the possibilities. She was so deep in thought that she didn't know Lorelai had left. She thought maybe he could like her back. She thought if nothing happened in the next week, she would make a move.

Authors notes

Very short chapter today.
Thanks for 500+ reads!!

-J

(Chapter not edited)