19: Swan attack

'How is dinner?' Emily Gilmore asked.

'Great mom.'

'Amazing Emily.'

'Fantastic Grandma.'

'What Rory said.'

'That's wonderful.' The table fell into silence again. 'Rory. How's that boyfriend of yours?'

'Oh he's great.' Rory said awkwardly. 'And that reminds me, Devyn has a boyfriend too.'

Devyn dropped her fork in surprise. 'Sorry.' She glared at her sister in annoyance. Rory gave her the 'if-i'm-going-down-your-going-down-with-me' look.

'Oh she does, does she?'

'Well we haven't made anything official, but we have started dating.' Devyn explained, her cheeks glowing pink.

'Oh that's wonderful.' Emily said.

'You must bring him for dinner next week.' Richard said.

Devyn looked at her mom for help but Lorelai just shrugged.

'I'm not sure if he is free.' Devyn tried to reason. However Emily did not seem to care.

'Nonsense. He will be here next week.'

Devyn sighed, trying to make a plan to try and get Jess out of it.

'You're coming to friday night dinner next week.'

'Huh?'

'You are coming with me to friday night dinner.' Devyn said, flopping down in the space next to Jess.

'Why?'

'Because that sister of mine let it slip that your my boyfriend and now my grandparents want to meet you and they are making me drag you to next friday night dinner. I tried to reason with them and stuff but they insisted that you go.' Devyn explained, sinking further into Jess' side.

'I'm your boyfriend now, am I?'

Devyn went red. 'Well I didn't say that Rory did. But it's not like I don't want you to be my boyfriend, I just didn't know if you did and-'

Jess kissed the top of her head. 'I can be your boyfriend if you want.'

'You will?'

'Yeah.'

'Ok then.'

They both sat in silence for a moment.

'Wait I have to go to that dinner?'

It was the day of the dinner and Lorelai had sent Devyn to hurry up Jess as he was supposed to meet them at their house ten minutes ago.

Devyn hurried down the streets of stars hollow, making her way over to Luke's. She opened the door and made her way up to Luke's apartment.

She barged in to find no one there. 'Oh my God.' Devyn rushed down the stairs to see if Luke was in the kitchen. He was.

'Hey boss.' Devyn said poking her head in. 'Have you seen Jess?'

'No.'

'Ok. Thanks.' She walked out the diner and back to her house.

'I couldn't find him.'

The trio where at the front door of the house. Lorelai knocked on the door.

'Mom is going to freak when she sees Jess isn't here.'

'Mom. That's not helpful.' Devyn sighed.

'Right. Sorry.'

The front door opened and a maid welcomed them in taking their bags and coats. She hurried away as Emily walked in. 'Richard they are here.' She yelled. 'Hello, Hello. Oh where is your boyfriend, Devyn?'

'Uh I-' There was a knock at the door.

Devyn, who was closest to the door, opened it. She grinned when she saw Jess but it immediately fell when she saw the black eye he had. Jess quickly pulled her out the door shutting it behind her.

'Woah- Jess. What the hell?' Devyn said. She gestured to his face. 'Where did you get this?'

'It wasn't a fight.'

'I didn't say it was.'

He stayed silent for a moment but before he could say anything the door opened again and Lorelai poked her head out.

'You two. In here. Now.' The couple walked past her. Devyn not noticing the look she gave Jess.

The group walked into the living room.

'Mom, I found them.'

'I can see that Lorelai.'

'Grandma. Grandpa. This is my boyfriend Jess.' Devyn said, looking at him.

'Hey.'

Emily and Richard looked at him. 'Sit down. Sit down.'

The couple sat of the sofa that was free.

'Would you like a drink?' Emily asked.

Jess was about to speak but Devyn spole first, 'We'll both have a soda please.'

Once everyone had their drinks the interrogating began.

'Well that could have gone worse.' Lorelai said as the group walked to her car. She looked over to her youngest daughter and whispered in her ear, 'Do you wanna talk to Jess now or later?'

'Now.' Devyn replied. Lorelai nodded and dragged Rory to the car. Devyn turned to Jess who was already looking at her. 'You going to tell me where that's from?'

'No.'

'Why not?' Devyn demanded.

'It's stupid.'

Devyn raised an eyebrow. 'Well you said it wasn't a fight so..'

'It's nothing.'

'It's not nothing.' Devyn walked over to Jess, taking a closer look at the bruise. 'Just tell me who or what gave it to you.'

'Fine.' Jess said, looking away from Devyn, 'It was a swan.'

Devyn stared. The she laughed. 'A swan?' She exclaimed. Jess gave her a look.

'It's not funny.'

'Oh but it is.' Devyn laughed more. She leaned on Jess so she didn't fall over.

'It beaked me!'

Devyn laughed even hard. 'Oh this just made my day so much better.' Jess grabbed her arm and pulled her over to the direction of Lorelei's car.

'Shut up.'

Authors notes

Chill chapter.
Thanks for 600+ reads.

-J

(Chapter not edited)