24: Stolen car

Devyn was working her last shift at Luke's. She was going to be moving to the apartment she brought in New York.

She had just finished refilling a customers coffee when a police officer walked through the door.

'Luke.' The police officer said whilst walking up to the counter. Devyn went behind the counter and pretend to do something with the coffee machine so she could listen in.

'Oh, hey.' Lule replied looking up.

'Good news, found the car.'

Devyn got more curious. What car?

'Good. Who would steal that? It's just a hunk of junk.' Devyn laughed at that.

'It broke down on the express way a couple hours ago.' Devyn laughed again.

Luke turned to her, 'Will you quit laughing?'

'Sorry boss.' Devyn turned around and leaned on the counter, 'Carry on.'

'The guy was in it.' The police officer said.

'You got the guy?' Luke said.

'Yeah but there's not alot we can do.' The officer said, 'The guys the owner.'

Something in Devyn's mind clicked.

'What do you mean. I'm the owner.' Lule said.

'Not according to the registration. It's registered to a-'

'Jess Mariano.' Luke looked at Devyn for a moment before looking out the window.

Devyn had zoned out for a moment. She wasn't ready to see Jess. No let me rephrase that she wasn't sure if she was ready to see Jess. Devyn didn't know how he would react. She didn't know if he would be mad at her or upset with her.

'Devyn. Hey Dev.' Luke said waving a hand infront of Devyns face. 'You wanna stay or do you wanna go?'

'Uh i'll stay.' Devyn said, 'I'll end up seeing him anyway.'

Luke nodded and left. She watched him and Jess talk about the car, or whatever they where talking about. She watched as Jess looked in through the window, catching her eye. She looked away. However before she did, she couldn't help but notice the slight look of sadness on his face.

'Ok well. My last shift is over.' Devyn said chucking her apron at Luke. 'It has been a pleasure to work with you Lucas.' Devyn bowed dramatically.

'Yeah. Yeah. Get going. You better pop around before you leave altogether.' Luke said.

Devyn waved before walking out of the diner. She looked in the direction of Jess' car debating whether or not to say something to him.

She looked into the diner and saw that Luke wasn't there so she walked over to the car and looked in.

After a moment, she banged on the window. Laughing slightly as Jess jumped at the noise. He went to glare at her but he stopped as soon as he saw it was Devyn.

She opened the door, leaning inside. 'Well, well, well. If it isn't the run away himself.' Devyn leaned back so Jess could get out the car. Once he did she glared at him. 'I'm still mad at you.'

'I'm sorry.' He mumbled.

Devyn sighed. 'It's ok.' She smiled slightly at Jess' relieved face. 'I'm going to New York in two days. I've brought an apartment.'

'That's great.' Jess said.

'Yeah.'

'I'm in New York at the moment.' Jess spoke up. 'Living there.'

'Oh cool.' Devyn said, 'I thought you where in California.'

'I was but I left to go to New York.'

'Oh.'

They both stayed silent for a moment.

'Well,' Devyn said breaking the silence. 'I need to go. Mom will be wondering where I am.' Devyn leaned up to kiss Jess' cheek. She turned around and walked away. 'Bye.'

Authors notes

Ok so they are back and honestly
I don't want to keep them
apart.
Sorry it's a bit rushed.
Byee.

-J

(Chapter not edited)