Chapter 3: Cal

I walked to the door, now nervous. I fixed my posture and opened it. I looked to the side, seeing Della standing there in a beautiful, pink dress. She looked small in comparison to me. I felt the need to protect her.

She looked at me with wide eyes. "Cal!"

I took a deep breath. "I am ready, my Great One."

She smiled. It was fake. I could tell that much. We both left the mansion. It was already dark out. I looked up at the stars. It was beautiful. I always loved to look at nature and the sky. Of course, when I was young, the caretakers didn't like that. And then the educators after that.

I looked back down at the color-changing pine trees lined up next to the metal path. In front of all of the lined up, 15 mansions, was the city. The mansions were spaced a few blocks apart, with a field of color-changing grass around us. The city was full of hovering cars.

I looked at the hovering, color-changing limousine in front of us. Della approached the vehicle with me behind her. I walked in front of her and placed two fingers on the metal and a light blue dot appeared where my fingers touched. I swiped to the right and I heard a click. The door slowly opened once I retracted my arm.

I stood to the side and she got in. I went in after. The door closed and I selected the route on the screen in the front of the vehicle. After I did, the screen showed red letters, warning me to sit down and buckle up before it began moving. I did, and I felt it start to drive.

We stayed silent for most of the ride. I sat across from Della who looked nervous. I looked out the tinted window at my surroundings. The trees in this part of the city were all green. A few people were walking on the street as it started to rain. I smiled a little.

"I'm warning you now, you should just stay away from Elliott."

I looked back at her. I thought about what she said. She's right. He's known to be the rudest of all. He's been alive for 3 million years and he has 98 bodyguards, all stuffed in the attic and basement.

The vehicle stopped and we both got out, letting it drive to the other rides. I looked forward at the gigantic, shining building. It was very tall, and the walls were pearly white, glistening rainbow lights coming off of them. There were pillars at the front, lined up in front of the walls.

It felt intimidating. I was nervous, but when Della walked out in front of me, I snapped out of my daze. I looked around and saw a bunch of people pulling up. I saw a bus of black-eyed people, bodyguard trainees.

Della looked back at me. "Cal, come on."

I looked at her and then followed her into the building. The doors were huge, and pearly white just like the building itself. They slowly opened, letting the cold air blow onto me as the bright lights from inside were revealed. There were couples on the dance floor, dancing and twirling around.

People were allowed to fall in love, just not reproduced, as the pink-eyed ones do. I looked over at Della who sighed heavily. She looked to our right, where the Great Ones sat, chatting with each other. She walked over to them, letting me rest a few yards from them, watching the other people enjoying their time here.

I watched a couple, one red eye, a soldier, and one green eye, the only one that has a choice on what their job will be, dancing together. The green-eyed one was a girl, and the red-eyed was a guy. I watched them smiling and laughing, feeling jealous that I can't love someone like that.

As I was lost in thought, I heard someone walk up to me. "Cal? It's good to see you!"

I looked to my side. It was Chloe, one of my roommates back when I was at school. I looked over at her. "Hi."

She stood next to me, in the same position as me. "So, which Great One did you get assigned?"

I looked over at Della. "Yan's replacement, Della."

She looked over at her. "Oh. Her?" She looked forward. "She looks cute."

I shrugged. "She's fine, I guess."

She didn't answer. I looked over at her and saw her staring at something. I looked toward where she was looking and let my eyes fall on Kai. He was our other roommate. He had dark brown hair. It was a bit curly and, of course, black eyes. He was talking to one of the other guests.

I looked back at her. "You're looking at Kai."

She looked back at me, surprised. "What? No, I'm not!"

I smiled a little. "Yes, you are. I already know that you have feelings for him. It was obvious before."

She sighed. "It's not that. I already told him how I feel. But he didn't accept my feelings. He knew that I wouldn't be there that long. Neither would he. We would both be transferred to work for one of the Great Ones. And I already know who mine will be."

She seemed more troubled after she said that. "Who is it?"

She took a deep breath. "Elliott. I'll be his first girl. I'm afraid of what he'll do to me."

I opened my mouth to speak when I heard someone else talk instead. "Chloe! Get over here!"

I looked over toward the Great Ones and saw a man that was talking to Della. Elliott. He had dark blue hair in a long ponytail. He had a sharp jawline and looked mean. He wore blue robes that fell to the floor. His marking was a black spot on his left temple. It was kind of big and looked more like a splotch than a circle. His god was killed by Oden stabbing her in the head. He was looking at Chloe, waving her over.

Chloe said bye and walked over to him, nervously.