Chapter 17: Della

We got someone to get rid of Malakai's body. Cal didn't get in trouble for it, obviously. I was able to calm him down. When he finally woke up and Malakai's body was gone, I hugged him tightly. I teared up while doing so. He hugged me back, and I realized that it was the first time that we hugged.

Then I reminded him that today was Elliott's ball. So we both got ready to leave for it. I tried to forget about Malakai. We also got someone to clean out his room and get rid of all his illegal weapons. I couldn't imagine where he got those!

When we were both ready, we went to the limo waiting for us outside. Cal opened the door for me, and we both got inside.

On the way there, I noticed that Cal seemed bothered. He was sweating and staring off into space. I smiled and put my hand on top of his. He flinched and then looked at me before smiling. He was back to normal, and it made me happy.

When we finally got to Elliott's mansion, it reminded me of the first time I had gone to one of his balls. Which was also the last time. I didn't really want to see him. Cal and I got out and made our way to the big, golden doors.

I could see that Cal wasn't happy with it. I knew that he didn't want to come in the first place. But Elliott executes anyone who rejects his invites. I mean, unless they're a Great One. So we couldn't say no.

The doors were opened by two bodyguards, presumably belonging to Elliott. Though I hate to say that they belong to someone, it's just what everyone says, so it becomes a habit.

When we got inside, I hated seeing the decorations again. It was the same as last time. I looked around the big room. Elliott was sitting on his throne, reading a book in his hand. Chloe was standing next to him. The rest of his bodyguards were lined against the wall.

Claire, Sarah's Great One, was sitting in her own throne behind Elliott. But she was staring at him, even with her bodyguard fully aware of it. Everyone knows that Claire has a thing for him. But personally, I don't understand it. Especially knowing what he's really like.

I let Cal go off to do what he wanted. As I expected, he went to the other bodyguards. Specifically, one of the people he already knew. Chloe was looking at him as he left. I walked over to Elliott to speak with him. I wanted to let him know that he was wrong about me getting a new bodyguard.

He watched as I approached him, giving his book to Chloe to hold. He looked at me with a cold stare. When I got in front of him, I fixed my stance, scared to confront him. "You were wrong."

He lifted an eyebrow. "Oh?"

I tried to elaborate. "I got a new bodyguard. He tried to shoot me in my sleep. Cal tackled him and had to shoot him himself. Getting a new bodyguard almost killed me."

I saw something in his eyes, almost like disappointment. Probably because he was wrong. "Oh. Well that's unfortunate. But what would happen if your first one turned out to be the killer? Then you would have no one to protect you while you sleep."

I considered his words. He's right. Partially. It is still only a what-if scenario. It never actually happened. His suggestion still almost got me killed.

I shifted my weight and then looked at Chloe. She was staring at her feet. She looked like a kicked puppy. I can only imagine how she's being treated over there. She's probably being beaten and underfed. Or worse.

I looked back at Elliott who was still looking at me with a natural anger to his face. "You should let Chloe hang out with the others. You do have 98 other bodyguards after all."

He looked at Chloe. Then back at me. He shook his head. "No. She stays with me. I don't want her saying anything rash. She isn't as obedient as the others."

I looked at the other bodyguards lined up and guarding the doors. "You aren't letting the others have fun either."

He looked at them as well. "Are you telling me how to order my bodyguards?"

I sighed in anger. "Fine."

Then I turned around and walked toward Cal. He was talking to his friend. He didn't seem too happy. He hadn't been happy at all for the last few days. I don't blame him to be honest. Especially because he just killed someone.

I put my hand on his shoulder to get his attention. His friend jumped and immediately saluted. I chuckled lightly. "There's no need for formalities with me. I just need to talk to Cal."

He relaxed and I brought Cal to the side to talk to him. "Yes?"

I looked down at my feet. I needed to apologize to him. It was wrong of me to get a new bodyguard when he was right there. It was wrong to try to ignore the fact that I was clearly bothered by that security tape. I need to apologize.

"I'm-" I was interrupted by a loud bang. Cal and I ducked quickly. I looked to my right, to the source of the loud noise.

A trainee bodyguard was pointing a gun at Elliott. My eyes widened. One of his bodyguards had jumped in front of him. I didn't recognize them. They had blood spilling onto their black uniform, making it darker than it already was. They were facing away from the attacker, and toward their master, Elliott.

Cal was frozen in a crouched stance. I was in shock. Before I knew it, I was running, being yanked by Cal. We tried to get into a vehicle but we didn't make it. Cal looked around in a panic. He ended up dragging me down the street, toward an abandoned building where some lower ranks, such as slaves and farmers, take refuge.

I could hear more shooting now. There are probably more shooters, or maybe the others are soldiers fighting back. Maybe even bodyguards. Or maybe Elliott is dead now. I doubt it though. That man can survive anything. At least that's what I've heard from some other people.

I was dragged into the abandoned building, possibly an old school. Either way, it was on the corner of the town, so no one tried to tear it down. Especially because some Great One's send their workers here as punishment. It was weird being in here myself.

Cal slammed the door behind us. The sounds of gunshots didn't cease, but only dulled. The light of the stars and the moon disappeared as the darkness of the building engulfed both us.