Chapter 37: Della

Everything happened so suddenly! After Oden disappeared, Cal and I dragged Chloe into the medical tent. We put her on the closest mattress and Cal flipped her onto her stomach. I took one of the knives and cut her shirt open and took it off.

Cal grabbed a rag and clean water. He ran back to Chloe and started cleaning her wound. I could tell that he was freaking out. I didn't know what to do, and a lot of people had come in, wondering what was going on.

I got up and backed off, knowing that Cal would need his space. He was trying to act calm but his hands were really shaky. Chloe wasn't moving though. I felt tears in my eyes as I wondered if she was going to survive. Oden had stabbed her many times and the dagger he stabbed her with was long. He had stabbed the spine as well.

I was scared of what was going to happen. The wound kept bleeding, and at this point, Cal was just trying to keep the blood inside. He was panicking. I saw tears falling from his face and onto Chloe's body.

When Cal's hands were covered in blood, and Chloe was too far gone, he stopped. He fell back and put his head in his knees and cried. I stood there, silent. I felt tears running down my cheeks as I watched Cal sobbing in front of his twin sister's body.

I finally got myself to move and I walked up to Cal and sat next to him, pulling him into a hug as he continued to cry. We stayed like that for a while. He held onto my shirt like a little kid would when they get hurt. But I let him do it anyway.

_______________________

After Cal calmed down, we carried Chloe's body outside and into the forest. Cal picked out the biggest tree in the forest and had gotten people to dig very far down into the ground. When they were done, we put her body into the hole.

Cal stood there with his head down. I stood next to him and the people with the shovels were the only other ones. Cal didn't say anything. He barely even moved. I said a few things about how I wished she would have been able to see a new world with us. I said how we both wanted to save her. But I mentioned how she will be remembered forever.

When I was done talking, Cal let the people fill the hole. He sat down on the dirt and I sat with him. He didn't say anything, and I didn't make him. I didn't say anything either. I just sat there with him, hoping that this feeling of sadness for Cal would go away. And I hoped with everything that I felt that Cal would feel better.

________________

We got rid of the mattress that Chloe died on. Now, I was trying to fall asleep on a different mattress while Cal was helping some of the injured again. He was trying to hide his pain, and I didn't blame him.

I woke up in that room again. I looked up and saw that man. My eyes widened. I did it! I was able to come back. But this time, he seemed sad. He spoke before I decided what to say. "She's gone. She's been gone for a long time." I was confused but he elaborated. "Chloe had major Stockholm syndrome. It was hard for her to try to change."

He took a deep breath and was now looking deep into my eyes. "Listen to me, Della. After this, Oden will try to get back at you guys. He has killed Sarah, and if you don't stop him, her power will transfer to him. And when he kills everyone, he will make another person like Chloe. The cycle will repeat, and he will kill Epimora's replacement again."

I looked at him, confused. "Epimora's replacement?"

He continued. "Chloe was specifically designed by Oden. Cal was not supposed to have a twin. But Oden made Chloe who could replace Epimora and he could kill her whenever he pleased. If Oden wins, he will do everything again. Don't let him win, Della."

I woke up when it was dark out. I sat up and rubbed my eyes. I looked around and noticed that Cal was sleeping on the floor next to my mattress. I sighed and got up, and got on my knees in front of him. I shook him until he was half awake and told him to get on the mattress. Since he was so tired, he did so without putting up a fight. When he got comfortable, I layed next to him, facing him.

He closed his eyes and went back to sleep. I didn't go to sleep, instead, I just watched him. I was so thankful that Cal wasn't crying anymore. He stopped crying after the funeral. I felt so bad for him.

As I watched his relaxed breathing, I remembered everything that we went through together. We hadn't even known each other long and we were already fighting for our lives. I already loved him so much. I blushed as I remembered kissing him. He even kissed me back. But I don't even know if that was real.

Before I knew it, I had fallen asleep. Hopefully my dreams will be better than my reality.