Chapter 29: Della

When we got inside, I told Cal that I wasn't hungry and went straight to my room. I didn't wait for his response. When I got inside, I laid down on my bed and felt my tearing up. I didn't want to cry in front of him.

Why was all of this happening? I could remember the fear I felt when Elliott had looked at me after I noticed his eyes and marking flicker. It was like he was smiling inside. Like he was ready to kill me the second I figured out his secret. But it was like he was excited to do it.

I was so happy that he was going to die. But now I feel like I'm just a rebel waiting to be executed in prison. I sat up and wiped tears from my eyes. I'm scared.

I was surprised when I realized that I didn't want to be alone. But I didn't want to be with anyone. I wanted to be with Cal.

I took a deep breath and left my room. I looked at Cal's door. The light was on. I walked over to his room and knocked on the door. I kept my head low as it opened. I heard Cal's voice, but I refused to look at him. "Della? What's wrong?"

I clenched my fists and felt my heart beating fast. I gulped as I looked up at him and considered my next move. Was I actually going to do it? Then I decided. I grabbed the back of Cal's head with both of my hands and pulled him down to meet my lips. And then I kissed him.

I squeezed my eyes shut so I didn't have to see his reaction. To my surprise, though, I felt his fingers on my cheek. I could feel my face getting hot. What was I doing?!

I could feel Cal kiss back and for once, I felt comfortable. I was afraid to move away, though. I was afraid to see something I didn't want to see. I didn't want to see a disgusted face, or a fake smile. But then I decided to be strong. I moved back and looked at him.

Cal was blushing as well. He slowly opened his eyes and looked at me. There was a shine to his eyes. They were full of life and wonders. Then he smiled. I wiped my lips and looked down as Cal stood up straight.

I shook my head. That was a very detailed daydream! I put my hands on my cheeks and felt them burning. I decided to leave my room. When I got into the hallway, I went down the stairs and to the kitchen. I went into the fridge and grabbed some water. I drank it as I leaned against the counter.

I sighed as I closed the bottle. I looked around the room, but something felt off. Just then, I heard a loud boom and a horrible crumbling sound. It was our mansion. I dropped the water bottle and ran to the stairs, but Cal was already running down. He looked scared. Cal grabbed onto my shoulders when he jumped off the last 3 steps. "ARE YOU OKAY?!"

I nodded, holding his arms. He turned to where the explosion came from and we saw a bunch of dust and debris. It was behind the stairs, next to the kitchen. It was the security room and first floor bathroom. Cal pushed me outside and I gladly agreed.

When we got out, we looked at the building. There was a big hole in the left side of the mansion. The rooms slowly caved down. Then there was an explosion on the opposite side, making me Cal and I duck.

We had no idea what was causing the explosions. All we knew was that our home was crumbling. After a while, many red eyes were brought to the scene. There were hundreds of them. At this point, the mansion only looked like ruins. I wanted to cry as the red eyes inspected the mansion, looking for explosives that could be traced back to rebels. That was all the red eyes' jobs.

All the Great One's were called to the scene and their mansions were searched as well. There was nothing. Cal seemed distracted until the other Great Ones and their bodyguards left.

After that, Cal comforted me as we sat on the curb. One of the red eyed people came up to us and saluted as he explained that we will stay with one of the other Great One's as the mansion is repaired, or we can stay in an empty house. We chose the latter.

After a little while of a group of red eyes looking for an empty house, they assigned one and we were escorted to it. It was about a mile away from the mansions and was in a high rank neighborhood. One of the scorekeepers lived in the neighborhood, and the other houses were filled mostly by married pink eyes, but also green eyes, and one orange eye.

The house that we were put in was one story, but very high quality. It was two rooms, one for me, one for Cal. We were left alone after we got inside. The house was already furnished and fresh food was put in it. Cal turned the lights on and we both went to the couch. In front of it was a holographic screen. It was low quality compared to the ones in the mansions.

I hugged my knees as I looked at the floor. Cal sat next to me silently. I tried to find something to say. "What... Who..."

Cal took over for me. "I'm glad you're okay, Della."

I smiled sadly. "Thanks, Cal. I'm glad you're okay too."

Cal sighed and then spoke louder and more serious than before. "I think I know who was responsible. "

My eyes widened and I looked at him. "Who?"

Cal took a deep breath. "Elliott."