Chapter 53: Cal

Oden stopped running. Now he was walking toward us. But he was fast. I was trying to get Della up but she couldn't. She tried to stand but she yelped in pain and dropped again. Her ankle was messed up.

We both looked at Oden. I felt tears in my eyes. We would never get our happy ending. All those people died for nothing. We got all those people killed for nothing. I fell to my knees. I finally let the tears fall. There's no reason to try to act high and mighty, big and strong, if nothing will come from it.

I looked at Della. She was also crying. We both looked back at Oden. He was smiling at us. "It's over. You both will die at my hands. And there's nothing you can do about it."

I tried to swallow my own saliva, but it felt as if there was a lump in my throat. I was sitting on my heels, waiting for the end to come. There's nothing I can do. I tried everything.

Oden stopped right in front of us. He knelt down to look at both of us at eye level. "When I get Sarah's power, which will be very soon," He laughed as he spoke. "I will rule over everyone. I will make Epimora come back and I will make her bow before me. I will finally finish Juda off and I will be the most powerful being in all the universes."

I tried to act strong, but in reality, I knew I was weak. I was unbelievably weak. We have failed. We failed long ago. Everyone else is dead. There's so few people that are actually alive. And soon, they will be gone too.

Oden laughed. "You look so pitiful. What? Have you given up?" I didn't answer him. I didn't know what to do. "Don't worry. I won't kill you. "My eyes widened. Did I hear him wrong? Did he just tell me that he wouldn't kill me? Will Della and I actually live? But then he continued, washing all my hope away. "But I will kill Della."

He looked over at her, standing up. He walked forward, dagger in hand. I looked at her. Her eyes were wide in fear. She was still holding her ankle. Oden lifted his arms. His hands were holding the dagger. He smiled maliciously. It was happening.

I couldn't stay still. I had to do something. Anything. I jumped at Della. I tried to do at least one last thing.

I know that Della doesn't want me to believe it, but I can't help it. It had already been burned into my brain ever since I was a kid. I am not as important as Della. And I still believed that I would die for her. I would do anything for her. That includes giving my life.

When I jumped at Della, I covered her, holding her body. I was going to sacrifice myself, even if it means that Della lives a few seconds longer. I can't give up. I can't.

As Oden was right about to kill me, I remember thinking something. Time slowed. I wished with everything I had that some miracle would happen. Anything. I wanted the power to defeat. I didn't care if I made it out. I want Della to live. She deserves to see the world. She deserves to see the world that she wanted to see. That WE wanted to see.

I felt her heartbeat against my chest. And I felt mine. I was so scared. I thought that in a situation like this, I would act naturally and not be scared. But I am. I'm so scared. I'm scared, not for my life, but for Della's.

I want Della to live. Please. Please. Something. Anything. Please help me.

I remember when I was younger, I read a book about a rebel creating a weapon that he used to kill the Great Ones. It was a bomb so powerful that it wiped out all of the mansions in one blow. He called it a nuke.

In this moment, as the dagger was right above my spine, I felt wind leaving my body in all directions. It felt like the power of millions of nukes all at the same time. I didn't hear anything but wind. Oden was gone. The only one there was Della. I still expected to feel the dagger dig into my back. But I didn't.