Chapter 7: Chloe

My arrival had been delayed two days due to errors with the paperwork. Instead, I'm now arriving at his mansion—the mansion of THE Elliott. The Great Ones don't even have last names because most don't want to be affiliated with the lowly pink-eyed people.

The scorekeeper knocked on the door, and I could feel the immediate dread that followed the sound. I kneeled to the ground, hanging my head low as I heard the door open.

I saw the feet of a bodyguard. He stepped to the side and then I saw colorful slippers with robes dragging across the ground as a man stepped out. It was Elliott. I felt nothing but fear and dread.

I could hear his voice as he dismissed the scorekeeper. As the elderly man walked away, Elliott stepped forward with his feet in front of me. He stayed silent, presumably looking at me, checking me out like the creep that I heard he was.

But then he finally spoke in a low voice. "Stand up, Chloe." The way he said my name was full of venom.

I immediately did as I was told and saluted him. I saw his face full of wonder. And then he smirked at me. "Well, well, well. I didn't expect you to look this good when you're freshly delivered!"

I felt a knot in my stomach. I wanted to throw up.

He stepped to the side. "Please, come in."

I stopped saluting and obeyed him, stepping inside the mansion, immediately feeling my body connecting to him, forever linking my lifespan to his. I looked to my left and saw the other bodyguard that opened the door. He seemed miserable. I looked back at Elliott who was looking me up and down.

He turned and motioned for me to follow him. "Come to my room with me."

I felt my heartbeat speed up. I did as he said and followed him. We went to the third floor and then down a huge hall until we got to the biggest room. He opened the door and we both walked in. There was a huge bed against the back wall with a big, white, fluffy comforter.

I stood in the open, confused as to why he called me in there. I heard someone walk in behind me. I turned and saw another bodyguard with short, red hair. He walked in holding a tray of tea. I looked at Elliott and saw him sitting down on a chair that was in front of a table at the foot of his bed.

Elliott leaned back and crossed his legs. He looked at me and motioned for me to sit in the chair across from him. I sat down formally and watched the other bodyguard pour his tea and then mine.

The bodyguard stepped back and watched us with his hands behind his back. Elliott loosened his robe, making it more comfortable on him. He grabbed his tea and looked at me while sipping it, talking once he swallowed the brown liquid.

"What's it like at the school?" He stared at me with curiosity, as if wondering about everything that had happened in my life.

I looked at my tea which was cooling down. "It was... just as you'd expect. We were taught everything we needed to know, and we had to pass our tests to survive."

Elliott looked unsatisfied. He shifted in his seat, making his robe move and show some of his chest. "Yes, but what was your personal life like? Did you have any friends?"

I straightened my posture and looked down. "I was friends with Cal, Great One, Della's bodyguard. And someone named Kai. They were my roommates."

Elliott nodded as I looked back at him. He picked up his porcelain cup again, but when he did, I noticed something. His robe fell slightly, partially revealing something black on his chest. I looked up at his eyes and saw him setting down the cup. "What was Cal like? Was he at all mean?"

I thought about it. "Not really. He would just be focused on passing his tests. He never failed one out of fear of being executed."

Elliott nodded. He moved his arm to scratch his neck. His robe dropped again. This time, I could see what the black was. Covering where his heart was, was a hand with long, black fingernails. It was Oden's marking. I felt my throat tighten up and my heart began to beat faster.

I looked at the bodyguard that was supervising us. He looked at me as if he knew what I was thinking. I looked back at Elliott. But I didn't look at his face. I looked back at his marking. But before I saw it, he fixed his robe, covering his chest. I looked at his face only to see him smirking with a threatening look. And as he looked me deep in the eyes, I felt a pull on my heart, as if he were communicating with me through our connection. As if he were warning me that if I do anything– SAY anything, I will be executed. I won't live long enough for anything to happen.

As I looked at Elliott- no. As I looked at Oden longer and longer, I realized that the feeling in my chest– the feeling of fear– will never go away. It will always stay deep in my heart as a warning that I will never forget.