6「target practice」0

(Ight, last chapter for today~ good job commenting, see you all next month!)

"You're getting better," Izak commented as Shinso came out of Ground Gamma, where he had just been doing a training exercise organized by his trainer and his teacher. He had been tasked with a sort of target practice, where dummies had been hidden throughout the training area. The dummies all had targets painted on them, but the difference between them was that the 'villains' had red paint while the 'civilians' or 'victims' had green paint. If he encountered a villain, he was to capture them or entrap them with the surroundings, and if he came across a civilian or victim, he was to go past them.

This type of training was to help Shinso make split-second decisions, which was something that all heroes needed. It also helped him get used to trying to capture human-sized and shaped objects, something he already had experience with thanks to his internship.

After three runs, Hitoshi's score had gone from about 70% correct decisions to 100%, so both Izak and Aizawa could see that he adapted well and quickly. "Now we're going to work on capturing moving targets," Aizawa said, glancing at the maroonette. "We'll start easy out in this area, then you and Morgan will go back into Ground Gamma and you'll have to deal with obstacles when trying to capture him."

"Understood," Shinso agreed as Izak yawned. For some reason, Mihoko had a sugar high in the middle of the night the night before, so the yawn was not for show like it usually was. The purplehead didn't know a thing about it since Izak had made the molecules around Shinso's room keep the sounds out, effectively letting him sleep.

"Morgan, go," Aizawa pushed him forward, causing the teen to sigh, but did as told and made himself levitate. Instantly, he was dodging as Shinso attempted to capture him. Flying around with barely a path in mind, Izak kept evading halfheartedly, which led to his eventual capture. "I don't like this thing," Izak grumbled, tied up as Shinso looked at Aizawa for any advice.

"We'll go another few rounds until you can get him within a minute, then we'll take the next step," The pro hero said, and the maroonette almost scoffed. I suddenly feel the urge to not let Hitoshi catch me at all just to spite Aizawa.

Sure enough, the rest of the day, no matter what Shinso did, Izak was too fast and kept getting away from the binding cloth. Aizawa had to use his quirk to stop him when the two earth-bound individuals had had enough. "Alright, we're done for the day," Aizawa grumbled as he rubbed his temples, Shinso beside him with a set jaw while Izak looked quite pleased with himself.

"...I asked you to help me, not tease me," Hitoshi murmured as he and the maroonette walked home together. Izak just shrugged.

"It's good to know that there are limits to your power, and that you can't catch everyone. Aizawa might have helped you catch me today, but that happens all the time in the real world," He explained. "Heroes may have to act alone sometimes, but more often than not, they have people backing them up."

"Like sidekicks," Shinso said.

"Yes," Izak inclined his head. "And other pro agencies in the area. Remember, the hero profession is about saving people, it shouldn't be about bragging rights."

"..Right," The purplette nodded his agreement, and so the rest of their short walk was silent. Glad he bought that, Izak thought to himself. That night, Mihoko luckily did not have another sugar rush, so the Morgan household was able to sleep peacefully. And then, it was time for exams.

Izak just let the molecules do the work, and soon enough, the day of the practical final arrived. "Now then," Aizawa addressed the class, standing alongside the rest of the faculty. "Let's begin the last test. Remember, it's possible to fail this final. If you wanna go to camp, then don't make any stupid mistakes."

"Why are all the teachers here?" Jiro voiced as she stood with Yamomo.

"I expect many of you have gathered information and believe you have some idea of what you'll be faced with today," Eraser stated, causing Kaminari to grin.

"We're fightin' those big ol' metal robots!"

"Fireworks~ Smores~ Here we come camp--" Ashido was cut off as Principal Nezu burrowed out of Aizawa's capture scarf, causing everyone that hadn't noticed that he was there to gasp at the sudden appearance.

"Actually, this year's tests will be completely different for various reasons!" The mammal announced, and Izak felt the air temperature drop as dread descended on those that had been gunning for robots. "The tests now have a new focus. There will be hero work, of course, but also teamwork and combat between actual people. So what does that mean for you?" He smiled that calculative smile of his. "You students will be working together in pairs, and your opponents will be one of our esteemed UA teachers, isn't that fabulous?!"

"We're.. fighting the teachers?" Uraraka gaped as the dread everyone was faced with turned into hopelessness.

"Additionally, your partners and your opponents have already been chosen. They were determined at my discretion based on various factors such as fighting style, grades, and interpersonal relationships," Aizawa revealed, and many gulped at this since they knew how devious their teacher could be.

"And now, let's announce the teams and the teachers they'll be fighting in order!" Nezu exclaimed, and so the matches were listed off. First, Cementos would be facing off against Kirishima and Sato. Then Ectoplasm would be going against Asui and Tokoyami. Next, Iida and Ojiro would be fighting Powerloader. The fourth match would be Aizawa verses Yaoyorozu and Todoroki. The fifth match would be Uraraka and Aoyama facing Thirteen. In the sixth match, Shinso, Ashido and Kaminari would be up against the principal. Next, Present Mic would be taking on Koda and Jiro. For the eighth match, Snipe was against Shoji and Hagakure. The ninth match was Midnight verses Mineta and Sero.

"And finally, we have Midoriya, paired with Bakugo," The two gasped and whipped to face each other. Aizawa's eyes narrowed with malicious intention as a certain someone stepped up beside him. "And their opponent is Morgan."

"..What?" Midoriya breathed, his eyes blown wide as Izak crossed his arms next to Aizawa.

"You'd better work together," Izak smirked darkly. "If you want even the slightest chance of victory, that is."

[Like this story? Consider tipping me on Ko-Fi! You might get a surprise~ Link is on my profile. Thank you for reading my story!]