Ch38: Beast Kingdom Eurazania

Diablo's POV:

Shion, Benimaru and I alongside Demon Lord Frey are all standing on a magicule platform hovering above the capital city of the Beast Kingdom Eurazania. Thanks to Frey's magic, we're currently hidden from view though it wasn't a part of our initial plan to hide.

Me: I must say, I am still surprised you were ready to take part this quickly.

Benimaru: Don't tease her like that...

Me: Oh, defending your future wife already, are we?

Both their cheeks go red as neither dares look me in the eye. I laugh even louder but surprisingly Shion doesn't say a word. In fact, of the four of us, she's perhaps the one most focused on the task at hand.

Frey: I will try to convince him to surrender as we agreed.

Me: Yes, yes. I gave you my word that I wouldn't flatten the city with you in it and I intend to keep it. However, that doesn't mean I'll allow you to take all year. If you can't convince him, withdraw and we'll handle the rest.

Frey: But-

Benimaru: Don't worry, our instructions were to refrain from killing him. Demon Lord Carrion will not die today...

Frey seems relieved to hear that though I'm surprised she didn't guess this from the fact that she's still breathing.

Shion: I'll go with her to ensure they don't try anything.

Both Benimaru and I are shocked by her words but she doesn't wait on our reply before jumping off the platform. Frey is quick to follow and as I watch the two land before the city gates, I can't help but wonder what's Shion's angle here.

Benimaru: You think she'll be alright?

Me: Frey?

Benimaru: Shion...she's acting strange.

I shrug before responding.

Me: Could be as simple as trying to outdo the competition.

Benimaru: Competition?

I watch as recognition seizes hold of his expression. No further words need be said. We understand one another.

Frey's POV:

The city guards nearly attacked us when I dispersed the magic making us invisible but when they saw me, they warily allowed us in. Walking through the city, it's easy to see that the populace is fully mobilised and prepared for war. Every other person we pass along the way is armed even as they go about their daily activities.

Shion: Is it always this crowded?

I'm surprised to hear her speak directly to me. She's remained silent ever since we left my Kingdom.

Me: I suspect the war has something to do with it.

Shion nods before returning to the silence I've now become all but accustomed to. I wonder if she's always like this.

Carrion: Frey! 

Looking up, I find Carrion barreling towards me. He scoops me up into a hug, threatening to crush my wings.

Me: Put me down!

Carrion: When I heard you had been attacked...

Me: I'm fine but I won't be if you...keep squeezing...like this.