Homecoming

Homecoming

SHE LEANED HER HEAD against the window, she pulls her jacket closer to herself watching the land pass by her, she had been on the bus for two days and she had been through five different state's, she could feel her body was tired and she wanted nothing more then her own bed and food that wasn't from a rest stop station. She messes with her dog tag's as she watched a bridge pass by. 

"Are you a marine?" A voice asked, she turned her head to the isle across from her to see an older women with russet skin and black hair, her jean jacket is covered in patches from different places and three different buttons on her lapel. "Huh?" 

"You have dog tags I was just curious." She points out, she looks down at the metal on her shirt, she gives a half hearted smile. "Oh uh im a pilot." Brandy inform's the women, she nods her head. 

"Air force?" She wonder's, she shakes her head. "Navy." She correct's her, she nods her head, she reaches for her own neck pulling out a set of dog tags, she furrowed her brow at the metal. 

"What branch?" Brandy asks her, her eyes widen realizing as she shakes her head. "No I didn't serve, it was my husband he served, he was a Marine." She notices the use of past tense, she looked down sadly. 

"Oh i'm sorry for your loss." She tells her,she could feel a pit in her stomach as she remembered the fact that she had not to recently been at a military funeral, the women shakes her head. "Oh it's fine." 

"I'm Sueanne." She tells her extending her hand for her to shake, she smile's as she take's her hand in her's. "Brandy." 

She smiled warmly. "That's a pretty name." 

Her cheeks turned cherry red at her compliment, it was nice hearing someone like her name despite her own distaste for it. "So why are you going to Chicago?"Brandy asks her. 

"Me and Harry always talked about traveling, we never got around to it we were too busy and now that he is gone I'm living it out, I always wanted to visit the city because of old John Hughes movie." Sueanne explains, the brunette smile's fondly at her. 

"Wow that's pretty cool, is this your first time going?" She wonder's, she smile's nodding her head, she gesture's to her backpack with the military patches and beach button.  "Is this your first time going to Chicago?" 

She shakes her head. "No, I was born there and raised there so this is a homecoming." She explain's to the older women. 

"Where you coming back from?" She questions'.  "California, I had a detachment that I just finished."  She inform's her, she raised a brow at her. 

"I'm assuming you can't tell me what you did." Susanne guesses, she nods her head. "I'm honestly just excited to get home, I could use a mattress and food that didnt come from a rest stop." Brandy admit's.