Chapter 5

"You're good to go," Shoko carefully took off her gloves and helped you up off the hospital bed you were laying on. She just finished fixing your wounds from the fight you had two hours ago. You smiled at her. "Thank you, Shoko. I really appreciate it." "Nah, no worries. That's what I'm here for, anyway." She replied, holding your arm so you could get a better balance.

After saying your goodbyes and thank yous, you started to walk through the halls aimlessly. 'Wasn't there a vending machine somewhere? I could really go for a snack right now.' Your stomach growled, as if hearing your thoughts as well. Sighing silently, you turned to the left, hoping to find those vending machines.

After aimlessly walking around the halls, you managed to find them and took out a coin, putting it in the slot and pressing down on the desired treats' button. It fell with a small crunch to the bottom of the machine.

As you were picking it up, a familiar voice echoed through the hallway.

"(L/N)! Are you alright? What happened?" Yuta's frantic voice pierced through the air, making you jump from how unexpected it was. You turned around and faced him, a small frown of worry on his features.

"I'm fine, don't worry. Shoko fixed me up." You reassured him, walking over to the boy and patting his shoulder. "It was only a few scratches. No need to worry." "Sensei said that you were attacked by a special grade curse! How was it 'only a few scratches'?" Yuta cried. You only unwrapped your snack and took a bite out of it, shrugging your shoulders.

"But anyway, how was your mission?" You asked, swallowing the bite. "Totally great." Yuta said sarcastically. "We got eaten by a curse, I unleashed Rika, and all in all, it was basically hell."

You nodded, giggling slightly, at which Yuta looked at you wide eyed.

He made a girl giggle?? No way!!

"But anyways, where is everyone else?" You ask. "They're just training. I came in here only because Maki-san was beating my ass out there." Yuta complained, sighing and rubbing his forehead. "Gojo-sensei said that I should try out using a weapon and chanelling my curse energy into it. However, that's not going so well."

"Oh relax, Yuta." You roll your eyes playfully and smile. "It's only our first day here. You won't know most of this stuff right away. I know I sure won't."

Yuta smiled and looked down at the floor. "Hey, (L/N)?" You hummed and looked at him questioningly. "Thank you for earlier today. How you tried to stop the others from almost killing me. And also telling Maki-san to stop being mean." "Eh, no biggie." You say, taking him off guard. "That's what friends do, right?"

Yuta stares at the floor some more, as if trying to figure out what else he should say. Finally, he looks up and smiles too, a light blush coating his cheeks. "Yeah, that's what friends are for."

Your bonding time was rudely interruped when Maki-san appeared down the hall, and angry expression on her face.

"Yuta! Where have you been? You've been gone for 5 minutes now! It's almost sunset!" That's when she noticed you standing next to him, making her rethink her ingnorant entrance. "(L/N)-san, I didn't know you would be let out yet. That idiot of a sensei said you would stay in the infirmary for another day."

You waved your hand dismissively. "I'm fine. Shoko healed me." Maki-san nodded in understanding. "You two need to come out for training. We only have a half hour until sundown." She said. Yuta and you nodded together and followed Maki outside.

Panda and Inumaki were lying down in the grass, talking in hushed whispers. Or, at least, Panda was. Inumaki was just speaking gibberish per usual. When they saw the three of you, they immediately sat straight up.

"Yo, (L/N)-san. Are you sure you'll be alright training right now? You were pretty injured." Panda asked, getting up and walking over. You smiled as a  greeting and answered. "I think I'll just watch everyone train today."

"I heard it was a special grade curse. I'm pretty sure a newbie like you couldn't have blocked its attacks." Panda said.  "You're most likely a 4th grade at least."

That's when Maki decided to interrupt. "Where's your I.D.,
(L/N)-san?"

"Oh, I have it right here-" You looked through your pockets. When you came up empty handed, you froze. "Wait, where did my I.D. card go? Didn't I put it in my pocket earlier?"

Maki rolled her eyes. "Only day one and you already lose your card? Tch." You glare at Maki and continue looking for it. "Maybe I dropped it at the cemetery." You mumbled to yourself. 'Where is it?'

"Ah, don't worry. Let's just get back to training." Panda dismissively waves his paw. "Maki-san, you still wanna fight Yuta?" Maki-san nodded and looked judgingly at the said boy. "Try not to lose in five minutes." She muttered to him. Yuta stammered.

You watched as Maki and Yuta took the field over. Maki got into her fighting position as Yuta picked his training katana up off the dewy grass.

"(L/N)-san.Watch and learn." Maki instructed. She then pounced onto Yuta without a warning, making the boy hesitate and try to swing his training katana at her leg. She dodged his attack and jumped over him, landing on her feet and tripping Yuta with her weapon. The boy fell to the ground, losing all the air in his lungs.

"Get up, Yuta! You can't be tired already!" Panda taunted. Yuta laid there motionless. "Oh God, Yuta!" You called out, getting to your feet and running over to his body. "Yuta, are you okay?" Maki grumbled something about him losing already and rolled her eyes, looking at the 'pathetic' scene infront of her.

Yuta groaned and looked at you. Once he noticed how close you were, he blushed and suddenly sat upright, bonking you on the forehead by his actions. You quickly put your hand up to your forehead, rubbing the place he hit, as Yuta apologized over and over again, his blush getting deeper.

Maki rolled her eyes once again as Yuta kept apologizing even after you said you were fine. Once she had enough, she yanked Yuta off the ground and placed him on his feet. "Yuta, one thing I don't like is time being wasted, and this is exactly what you two lovebirds are doing right now."

At the word 'lovebirds', you shot your head up at Maki's towering figure. "Lovebirds? We're not- how could we-" You stammer, trying to find the right words.

"Whatever, (L/N)-san. Let's just get back to practice." Maki literally dragged Yuta to where his practice katana is. You sighed as a light blush coated your (S/C) face, walking back to Panda and Inumaki.

You three watched them train a little bit more, making eachother laugh and telling jokes to one another. You learned that Panda was actually very sweet and also strategic and very smart, while Inumaki is kind and shy.

After a while, you saw Gojo come out of a building. "Ah, look! It's Gojo-sensei!" You say, waving at him. He smiles and waves back as he neared his beloved students. "Yo, how's it going?" He said. Yuta looked in his direction, completely forgetting the menace with green hair he was training with. "Oh, hey Gojo-sensei! It's going goo-"

Maki smacked him with her weapon and landed perfectly on her feet infront of you three. "Pay attention, kid." She sternly instructed. "And get ready." "Yes, ma'am." Yuta sighs, rubbing his cheek.

"You gonna try and hit me, right?" Maki gets back into her ready position. Yuta smiles slightly and runs toward her, a determined look etched on his face. "Yes, ma'am!"

You couldn't help but smile.