Chapter 19

"When we arrived at the scene...you're son was already dead..."

You and Megumi stood infront of the elderly lady you met at the Juvenile detention center, the mother of Tadashi. You solemnly handed the woman the card that had her sons name printed on it. Apparently, Megumi swiped it off of the body when he went out looking for Nobara.

"If I'm being honest with you, I was pretty skeptical about saving your son and the others from a terrible place like that, but my comrades are different," Megumi continued, glancing your way once while saying that. "Even after confirming your son's death, they wanted to bring the body back to you. But..." He gestured to the name tag held in the woman's shaking hands.

"That's the only thing we got."

You bowed down in respect to the woman, Megumi following quickly. "We're sorry for your loss." You mutter, eyes glued to the floor. Megumi slightly nodded in agreement.

You could hear the woman sniffle. "It's quite alright, dears..." She said solemnly before breaking out into quiet sobs. "After all, I'm the only one who will mourn him."

Your heart clenched at her words, but you could only nod, mutter another apology, and leave with Megumi.

°•°•°•°•°•°

Back at the school, you and Megumi headed to the training grounds. All the second years and Nobara were there. She was screaming as Panda twirled her in the air. Maki turned around and put her hands on her hips as she glared at the two of you, specifically Megumi. "Where have you two been?"

Megumi shrugged, not in the mood to talk. "Doesn't matter now, does it? We're here."

You, on the other hand, wanted to ask a question, and who better to ask than Maki, who's both strong in the mind and body? "Hey, Maki? What kind of people do you want to save?" You asked her.

"Huh?" She cocked her head to the side. "Why should I care about the people I save?"

Scratch that about her being strong in both mind and body.

You sighed. "Nevermind. I shouldn't have asked you..."

"HUHHH!?" She yelled at you, a tick mark on her forehead. "WHAT WAS THAT (L/N)!? I COULDN'T HEAR YOU!"

"(L/NNNN)! FUSHIGURO!"

You turned your head to Nobara. "THIS ISN'T THE TIME FOR A QNA! HELP ME OUT, WOULD YOU?" She yelled before being thrown to the ground by Panda. Panda jumped and skipped happily around, giggling.

Maki grabbed your attention by banging her staff on the ground and pointing at you. "C'mon, try to take my staff from me. We'll talk later."

Shit.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•

Two days later, you, Megumi, and Nobara were standing by the vending machines, tired after a long week of training for the Exchange Event.

Pop!

Nobara opened her soda and took a sip, grimacing at the taste. "Why can't they buy new machines? These vending machines might as well be as old as Sukuna himself." She says, dropping the can in the garbage. You hummed in agreement. "Couldn't have said it better myself." You added, making Nobara snicker. Megumi grumbled something and looked the other way, annoyed and in need of his other male friend, who was 'dead'.