Chapter 18

Wham!

You fell flat on your back, dropping your training weapon out of reach. The end of a stick was pointed at your forehead, then it poked you harshly.

Maki grinned. "I win again." She gloats. "Two to nothing."

You sighed heavily and brushed the bo staff away from your face, rubbing the spot which it had poked you in. "If I get a bruise here, I'm blaming you." Maki waved off your comment and helped you get up. "A curse wouldn't care if you got hurt, y'know."

You grabbed your weapon off of the ground and waved it around. "Why do I even need to train with a weapon? I already have fire powers." "Because Gojo said that since you can't really control it-"

"I can control it!"

"Zip it, I'm talking." Maki sneered at you. "Back to what I was saying, you might need a weapon just in case, so no one gets heavily injured." Maki goes back into her fighting stance. "Come on now, let's try this again."

You complied to her orders, getting into your own stance and waiting for Maki to make the first move. No one moved for a minute, until Maki swiftly ran around you with much speed and tried to hit you from behind, but you quickly turned around, almost losing you balance, and blocked the attack.

She didn't waste any time in finding another weak spot, twirling her bo staff in the air and slamming it into the ground where you stood. You dodged and tried the hit her in the face while she was occupied, but her hand quickly went up and grabbed onto your staff. She grinned as you stomped your foot like a toddler, annoyed that you couldn't get even one hit on her.

"You're going to have to try harder if you want to beat me, (L/N)!" Your opponent yanks your weapon out of your grasp, leaving you vulnerable. You froze for a moment before running to the side when she tried to whack you. You went in for a punch, yet it was easily blocked. Then you went for a kick to the knees, but that was also dodged. You groaned in frustration and kept trying to land attacks on the girl. Your attempts were futile, as they all were when you were against Maki Zen'in.

In short time, Maki ultimately won, knocking you off balance again and pushing you onto the grass. You breathed in heavily as the wind was knocked out of you and stayed on the ground for a while. Maki stood over you, blocking the Sun and casting a shadow on your form. "Three to one." She mocked, her victorious smile shinning.

Frustrated, you pushed her off of you, although it didn't affect her much, and crossed your legs on the ground, pouting like a kindergartener. Maki huffed and looked down at your whiney state.

"Oi, get up. We're not finished."

When she got no answer, your upper-classman grabbed you by the hair and pulled you back up on your feet. "Ow, Maki! That hurt!" You yelped at her harshness.

"Too bad. Now get your weapon and let's try again." Maki responded coldly. She forcefully shoved your weapon back into your hands and whacked your feet, telling you to get back into your fighting stance.

You and Maki fought again and again, the latter always winning. After your seventh try at winning against the skilled combatant, you dropped your weapon and fell tiredly to the ground. Maki pursed her lips together lightly and looked at the Sun, pondering if she should give your bruised body a break. As she was thinking, your favorite upperclassmen showed up on the field, waving around a bag in his hand and calling out sushi ingredients.

The smell of Japanese cuisine wafted through the chilly air and entered your nose, willing you to get up and look at Inumaki who stood over you, panting from running across the field. Maki stopped thinking and placed her staff on the ground. "Oi, Inumaki. We're training."