Sixteen

June, 2004

"I can't believe we're actually done with finals!" Taylor exclaimed, taking a closer look at her face in the bathroom mirror.

"Yeah, it felt like it was never going to end!" I responded from my spot on her bed. "I can't believe we're done with freshman year! I'm kind of excited for the summer."

"I'm not," Taylor chuckled, rummaging through her makeup kit until she found her gloss that smelled like cherries and made her lips sparkle. "We're spending most of it in New Jersey. It's gonna be so boring, Rory! We go every single year and it's like, why? There's nothing to do there."

"Hey, at least you're getting out of here," I replied with a dry laugh. "I haven't left the great state of Tennessee since '98!"

Taylor grimaced as she walked back into her room and turned the bathroom lights off. "Right. I'm sorry. It sucks that you can't come with us."

I shrugged and let out a heavy sigh. "It's fine. I'm gonna be helping my aunt out at the store and cat sitting for Mrs Paxton and baby sitting for the Lawrences and I'll save up enough money so that next year, when I'll finally be able to drive dad's car, I can actually afford concert tickets and we'll actually be able to drive there ourselves instead of having to ask your dad to drop us off."

"Dude, yes! We have to go to as many shows as we can!"

"Annnd maybe some of them will be your shows!" I replied, bumping my shoulder into hers.

"That, Rory, would be a dream come true!" Taylor sighed contentedly and grabbed my hand in hers. I could see the bracelet I got her for her birthday earlier this year, the silver charm shining in the soft lights. It made me smile. Taylor was true to her word. She never did take it off.

She dropped my hand though as soon as we heard a car honking out in the driveway.

"That's Drew!" Taylor said, standing up excitedly.  She grabbed her purse and motioned for me to follow as she practically ran downstairs.

I walked after her at a much less hurried pace. I was excited to go to my first real party but I wasn't stoked about sitting in the backseat next to one of Drew's friends while Taylor sat in the front passenger seat with her hands all over her boyfriend.

"Hey, hey, hey! Hold on just a second," Taylor's dad stopped us, standing at the bottom of the staircase with his hands at his waist. "Now, I know your mom and I said you can go to that party. It's the first day of summer break, and you're excited, I get it. But be careful, okay? No drinking. No smoking. Absolutely no drugs—"

"Dad!" Taylor groaned and rolled her eyes. "Come on. Are you serious? You can trust us."

"Honey, I trust you. It's everyone else that I don't trust, alright? Don't add to the population. Certainly don't take away from the population. Be home by eleven-thirty. Any minute past that is a day you're grounded."

"I'll make sure we're back before then, Mr. Swift!" I reassured him.

"Good. Thank you. And for the millionth time, Lori, just call me Scott!"

I laughed, shaking my head lightly. It was a little endearing how he absolutely refused to learn my name. Taylor had first introduced me as Lori and that was what stuck.