Nineteen

btw, delicate just hit 700k, golden is at 500k, this book is at 50k, and 🤯🤯🤯 yall...
thank you wtf

———

October 24th, 2006

As soon as Nana handed me the phone, Taylor started screaming.

Well, it was more of an excited, really long shriek, followed by her excitedly shrieking out my name as well.

"AAAAAAAAAAAH ROOOOOOOORY!"

I burst out laughing, pulling the phone away from my ear for a second. I knew exactly what this was about. The night before, she had been so nervous about it. This time, she was freaking out in excitement.

"Rory! It's out!"

"I know," I said, my smile widening. Her very first album. It was just released. This was possibly the most exciting day of her life. It was just as exciting for me, as well. "Congratulations, Tay! I'm so proud of you."

Taylor sighed heavily and I heard a gentle plop on her end. I pictured her throwing herself on her bed.

"Thank you, Rory! This is the best day of my life!"

"I thought that was the day you met me," I teased her and Taylor laughed on her end.

"That was the second best day of my life. Sorry but, I JUST RELEASED MY FIRST ALBUM EVER!" the blonde shrieked into the phone again.

"I respect that," I told her with another giggle. "Hey, I was thinking of driving to the record store downtown so that I can buy a CD—"

"That's so dumb. I have an entire stack at home. I'm coming over with your copy and we're going to listen to it together," Taylor told me.

"Okay! Do you need me to come pick you up?" I asked her. Ever since I got my license and Nana and I took my dad's old car to the shop to make sure it was still in working order, I'd been really excited about driving it pretty much everywhere. When I was behind the wheel, I felt just a little closer to my dad.

It was filled with memories from every single one of our road trips, with all the cassettes in the glovebox that my parents loved to listen and the toolbox in the back that dad used to let me dig through to give him different tools whenever he tinkered with the car, his old Yankees baseball cap on my head.

"No, mom has to drop Austin off at his friend's house anyway so I'll just tag along."

"Okay! See you soon, then!"

I hung up the phone and tidied up my room just a bit before pulling out Nana's old stereo so we could use it.

Not too long after our call, Taylor walked into the basement from the backdoor that was always unlocked during the day and ran up the stairs to my room.

"Did you use the backdoor again?" I asked her, getting up to greet her as soon as she walked in after knocking a particular beat I had come to recognise as hers.

"Yep. Couldn't wait for someone to open the door," she told me, kicking her shoes off by the door and jumping on my bed with her CD in her hands. "AAAAAH!"