Thirty-Seven

Dear Rory, It's 6 a

Dear Rory,
It's 6 a.m. and I haven't slept a wink. I just feel like an empty shell. I'm not sure who the person in mg body is these days.
I have about a dozen friends with me right now but I still feel so alone.
None of them really get me like you always did.
Love, Taylor

———

Usually, Cas and I spend the fourth of July with their family since they live so close. Neither one us cares enough to participate in the big celebrations, the barbecues, and the fireworks, but it's nice to be around family especially when mine lives across the country.

This year, Odyssey is sending me to Mexico and though I could have turned it down, I still decide to go. I've seen pictures of the small town online and it looks absolutely beautiful. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

I'm packing my suitcase when Taylor calls me.

"Hey, Ror! I'm about to board the plane, I just thought I'd call and check in. How's it going?"

I put the call on speaker and toss my phone on the bed while counting double the number of underwear than the days I'm going to be travelling for. You can never be too safe, right?

"Hey, hey! Thanks for calling!" I respond, smiling to myself. These short calls throughout the day have become pretty common and I enjoy them a lot every single time. "I'm just packing. My flight leaves in the morning. What time do you land? Maybe I can catch you for breakfast."

"I'm actually headed to Rhode Island," Taylor tells me.

"Oh..." I hope it didn't sound as disappointed as I feel.

"Yeah, a couple of my friends are coming over. Austin and Syd too. For the fourth," she explains, although I do remember her mentioning something about it a few days ago. "You wanna come?"

"I have to be in Mexico," I respond with a soft sigh, counting just as many socks as underwear to pack.

"Well, what if you tell your boss that you actually think Rhode Island is a much better travel destination and I'll let you write an article all about Holiday House?" Taylor responds, making me laugh softly.

"That won't be helpful. People read our magazine to get travel and vacation inspiration. They can't exactly rent your house, now, can they?" I respond, smiling amusedly as I start fitting all my undergarments in the little mesh pocket in the bag.

"Hm, perhaps you're right. Sucks though. I would have loved for you to join us," Taylor says. "You would have finally met Selena. She's gonna be there."