Twenty-Nine

I'm about to board a plane for 5 hours soooo here<3 enjoy!! goodnight or good morning! love y'all 💗💗

one of my fav chapters btw

———

Dear Rory, Greets from Hawaii! My friends and I started the year right with a perfect getaway

Dear Rory,
Greets from Hawaii!
My friends and I started the year right with a perfect getaway.
Summer in January is weird and perfect.
Love, Taylor

———

Early in March, Taylor messages me, telling me she's in New York for the weekend and she invites me out to dinner. All I have to do is say yes. She makes the reservation and tells me to meet her there, and so that's what I do.

The table the hostess sits me in isn't exactly hidden in the farthest corner of the restaurant, but it's close enough. It is off to the side, hidden behind a decorative column and far away from any windows, giving me a sense of privacy.

There are heaters keeping the room warm, too warm in fact, that I roll up my sleeves. The glass of lemonade I've ordered is sweating on the outside and I distract myself by catching the beads of water from the condensation with my finger.

I check my watch again.

08:34 p.m. 

I check my phone.

08:35.

I received the last message from Taylor about ten minutes ago. Nothing since.

Taylor: I'm really fucking late I know but I'm on my way. I need like 10-15 mins max !!!

Rory: Don't worry about it! Just get here safely. Do you want me to order something for you for when you get here?

No response.

At 08:47, she comes in like a whirlpool, spewing apologies.

"I'm sorry, so, so sorry!" Taylor exclaims, making her way over to me first and leaning over to hug me quickly. "I'm so late, I know. The studio session ran later than I thought it would, and now I'm sweaty and probably stink 'cause I didn't have time to shower. I did change my clothes though which is why I'm this late—"

"Ouch," I wince when Taylor tries to pull away but her bracelet gets tangled in my hair.

Taylor grimaces, placing her phone on the table so she can use her other hand to release her arm without ripping my hair out. "Shit, I'm sorry!"

"It's okay," I chuckle, closing my eyes as she pulls again just a little too hard. "Ow."

"Fuck, okay... Got it!" she says, holding her arm up. There are a couple of strands of my hair still attached to the bracelet's clasp. Taylor and I both cringe at the sight while I rub the area with my fingers. "I'm so fucking sorry, Rory. God, I'm such a mess today!"