Forty-Four

anyone ready for soft raylor? no? yes? hm they're very soft today !!!

———

Dear Rory, Ever been to Hudson Valley? There's a studio there, Long Pond Studios

Dear Rory,
Ever been to Hudson Valley?
There's a studio there, Long Pond Studios. It's like this cabin and I swear it had like magical musical powers.
I'm releasing a second surprise album tomorrow. Most of the songs were also in collaboration with Aaron Dessner.
You should listen to his band. The National. I think you'd like them.
How's the pandemic treating you?
Love, Taylor

———

I lean against the counter at Willow's next to Wyatt, staring out the glass doors at the crowd of oh, about hundreds of people that has steadily been growing for the past hour.

Taylor met up with Cas and I earlier since we are supposed to be going out for dinner together but someone spotted her walking in and decided that the nicest thing they could was tell the whole world her exact address. Very thoughtful of them.

She is currently sitting in the back where no one would be able to see her through any windows until Greg gives us the okay to leave. At this rate though, it looks like we're going to be stuck here until tomorrow morning.

"Holy shit, dude, are there more people?! I literally went to the bathroom for like two minutes," Cas exclaims as they walk out of the back office.

"It's kinda crazy," Wyatt says with a little chuckle. "Do people have no self-respect anymore these days?"

"Apparently not," I say, sighing softly while jumping off the counter.

"Hey, Ror, I think you should..." Cas trails off, nodding in the direction of their office.

"Yeah," I mutter, making my way around to the back room.

"Seriously, though, if that's what being famous is like, I don't want it."

"Hey, kid, don't you have a quiz or something to study for?" Cas huffs, putting everything back in place to close up shop officially for the night. They haven't had a customer in over an hour, anyway, ever since that crowd showed up. Greg and the rest of the security team closed off the entrance after the other two customers who were already inside left.

I close Cas's door behind me and walk over to the desk where Taylor's sitting on the swivel chair, turned to face the wall. She borrowed my earphones earlier and she's currently blasting a song I don't exactly recognise but it's playing loud enough that I can hear the lyrics. I crouch down in front of her and place my hands on her knees gently to avoid spooking her.

Taylor pulls the AirPods out of her ears and leaves them in her palm, smiling weakly at me.

"Are we leaving?"