Chapter 06

Arnav

I pressed the bell and waited for it to open while I smiled at the box and the bouquet of red roses in my hand. Khushi will love it. She loves red roses.

As the door opened, Hariprakash reached for my bag but I shook my head and headed upstairs. As I entered, I found the room dark and empty. And my heart skipped a beat. Did Khushi... No. She must be here somewhere. I closed the door and silently placed the box, my bag and the bouquet on the recliner chair while my eyes searched for her. As I entered the poolside, on my left, I found Khushi asleep while sitting on the ground with her notebook and Jalebis on her lap.

I shook my head before taking the notebook and the container. I placed them on the table near the recliner then returned for her. I picked her up in my arms then stared at her sleeping face while she rested her head on my shoulder. I frowned a little when I realized that, she wasn't holding on to my shirt like she always did.

I carefully lowered her on the bed then covered her with the duvet. Then, I placed my hand next to her head, pressed my lips on her forehead and stayed like that for a few seconds before staring at her again. As a tear slipped down her face, I felt guilty, because I'm the reason she's crying. I'm the reason she's sad. I brushed it off and promised that I will win her back. No matter what. I will win her back.

I decided to place both the box and the roses on her bedside table, then went for a shower.

*

When I returned from jogging, Khushi was still asleep with her face resting on the back of her hand and her mouth fell slightly open.

I smiled at her then decided to get ready for work.

As I stepped out of the bathroom. I found Khushi standing with the bouquet while she stared at them. I couldn't see her reaction because some hair covered my side of her face.

I went to the cupboard and pulled out a deep brown tie while I waited for her reaction. While I waited for her to be happy. While I waited for her to finally forgive me. But she stood there without moving. I waited for another minute and finished tying the tie before calling her name.

"Khushi?" I neared her and placed a hand on her shoulder and turned her to face me."Khushi?"

She had a shocked reaction on her face before she looked me in the eyes and asked, "You... bought this?" She showed me the box and the bouquet.

I nodded with a small smile.

"Why are you giving me this?" She asked as a v started to form between her eyebrows. Is she angry?

"So that you can forgive me." I answered as I looked into her questioning eyes.

"Did you apologize?" She asked quietly after a pause.

"I..." I hadn't. But she should understand, I never apologize to anyone. She might be the first person to whom I had apologized but just because I said sorry once or twice doesn't mean I can always do the same. She of all people should know that.

When I failed to answer, she raised her eyebrows with questions, before saying, "Are you... are you trying to buy forgiveness by giving me this?"

"No..." I shook my head at the misunderstanding.

"You seriously think you can do whatever you want just because you're Arnav Singh Raizada? You really thought if you gave me this... I'll forgive you?" She asked while disbelief laced her eyes and words. Shit. What have I done?

"Khushi, I..."

She dropped the flowers on the bed then opened the box and I closed my eyes. Because there's no way now she's going to forgive me after seeing what's inside. I should've thought more carefully before buying this.

Her mouth left open as she saw what was inside. She looked at me then back at the content inside and turned the box for me to see.

"You thought... giving me a diamond necklace will make me forgive you?" She asked as she pinned me with a look and waited for me to say something. But, I had nothing to say. And now that she pointed it out, I can see where I made the mistake. I knew, she doesn't like expensive gifts. All she wants is something from the heart. And I have failed to even give her that.

"Why are you going through all this trouble? Why are you trying to apologize?... Isn't everything my fault? Didn't you say that you wished you had never met me?... Didn't you say that if it wasn't for me then Shyam ji wouldn't have done anything?" She asked as the v between her brows deepened.

"Khushi, I didn't mean any of that. It was a slip of tongue. I have told you none of it is your fault... It's that Shyam's fault." I said raising my voice so that she could understand me. Why does she have to hold on to that? Why can't she just... listen to me?

She dropped the box on top of the bouquet, closed her eyes, and took deep breaths. Then she shook her head before walking past me and went to the bathroom.

Breathing heavily through my nose, I grabbed my coat and car keys then headed downstairs.

"Chote, is everything alright?... Why were you and Khushi Bitiya shouting?" Nani asked as she stopped me halfway to the door.

"Hello-Hi-Bye-Bye! Tell us, Arnav Bitwa. Why was that Phati Saree shouting?" Mami asked from the breakfast table.

"Everything's fine." I said through my teeth, before I started from the door. But Nani stopped me again.

"At least have breakfast before leaving." She tried. But I didn't answer. Instead I headed outside and drove away. Because the last thing I want now is people around me.

Why does Khushi always have to make things so hard for me? Why can't she just take the gift?... I slammed my hand on the steering wheel and tried to calm down.... I shouldn't have shouted at her. She's already upset because of the things I've said before... Damn it...

I'll go home. And talk to her with a calm head. I'll do everything that can possibly make her forgive me. I'll apologize and have her forgive me. I know if I do it right, she will forgive me. She always does.