Chapter 20

Arnav

"Di, all I did was for you. You loved him. That would have been too much for you to handle." I spoke up as I avoided her words about not being able to raise me well.

"How come you never told me if everything you did was for me? Why do I only know half of it if everything is about me?" She nearly screamed. "I know I'm not strong enough. I am aware that you have always looked out for me. But why? Why can't I have a say about my own life? If my..." She stopped. "... if my husband had cheated, shouldn't I have the right to find out first? Why don't I have the right to choose for me and my baby?"

I remained silent. I know what I did was wrong, but why can't you see that all this I did was because of you? Because I care about you. Because I love you. Because I can't see you in pain.

"I agree that if Khushi Ji had told me what had happened, I might not have believed her. But you could have at least told me." She let out a bit of air before wiping away her tears.

"Di, I tried, but you had fainted before I could tell you anything."

Di shook her head, but Nani spoke before she could respond.

"Do you regret the choices you made?" She asked while turning to face me.

I didn't say anything for a moment, then nodded slowly.

"What has been done is done. There's no point in bringing back the past and arguing. But the truth is that everyone in this room is to blame. And Chote... if you care even a little bit about Khushi Bitiya, then you will not go anywhere near her and her family. You will respect her decision and do as she wants." She added this while looking around at everyone and coming to a halt at me. "Am I clear?"

I gave her a long look before gritting my teeth and nodding.

"Hello, hi, bye-bye, Sasuma! How can you let those middle-class Gupta sisters go like that?" Nani was about to leave when Mami spoke.

"Mami..." Nani stopped me with her hand just as I was going to tell her to shut up.

"Manorama? Again, which class did you come from?" Nani's brows almost twitched together in displeasure as she questioned.  "Lower-class family, right? In that sense, the Guptas are superior to you, aren't they?... Since they're from a middle class family. Also, both of their daughters are educated... They have every right to insult you." She came to a halt, still staring at Mami. "Unfortunately, they never did, regardless of what you said or did. Because they have a family standard and family manner, which you don't. So, remember this the next time you look down on someone."

Mami stared at her with disbelief as She turned to face Akash, who had been silent the entire time.

"As for Akash Bitwa... you disappointed me. This is not something that is expected of you... From when did you become like Chote?" That hit like a rock as she finished.

Akash remained silent and kept his head down. As expected.

"And Anjali Bitiya, stop blaming others when you know exactly where you are wrong..."

And she dashed away, leaving us to sink into our own guilt and realisation.