Chapter 28

Khushi

"What're you going to do with your useless life now?" Bua Ji asked as she washed the increasing pile of dishes while I transferred all the remaining snacks and sweets into containers.

"What do you mean?" I asked before I pushed a whole samosa into my mouth because I didn't have any space for it in the container. Although if I had pushed a little, it could've adjusted with the others, but why make such an inconvenience for them when I have an empty mouth.

"What do you plan to do now?" She asked, but before I could answer, she suggested, "I think you should finish your studies."

My eyes widened as I heard her and looked over my shoulder at Bua Ji, who was washing the dish like it's her favorite thing to do. How does she always know what I'm planning?

I again turned back to my work while munching on the samosa and said, "I also want to, but I don't have any money."

Bua Ji didn't reply for a long time before saying, "I have..."

"You do." Amma said to me as she took the empty plate from the table and took it to Bua Ji, who looked at the dishes with wide eyes before looking at Amma. Maybe washing the dishes isn't her favorite thing to do.

"How?" I asked as I took a container in each hand and walked to the kitchen cabinets.

"Did you think Jiji—your Maa and Baba would never think about your future?" Amma questioned back as she went to get the glass set from the table.

I shared an equally shocked look with Bua Ji before turning to Amma, who entered the kitchen with four glasses held between the fingers of her two hands.

"Why didn't you tell me about it before?" I placed my hands on my hips as I questioned her with furrowed brows.

"So that you could eat it all up with your Jalebi obsession?" Amma asked and looked at me before turning on her heels and returning to the dining room, while Bua Ji barked out a laugh while throwing her head back.

"You don't laugh, Jiji. You would've helped her do so." Amma added, and Bua Ji stopped because it was now my turn to laugh at her.

She glared at me and flared her nose while exhaling, then looked at Amma, who again walked in with another set of glasses.

"But you'll give it to me now?" I asked.

"Only if you promise to use it for a good cause, like finishing your studies. Unless I'll give it to you if you ever get married." Amma said, then left again.

I dropped my hands from the hips as I suddenly remembered Arnav Ji... No, no. Get a grip on yourself, Khushi. Don't get flown away by his thoughts. Don't...

Bua Ji hit her shoulder on mine, and I stumbled ahead, then turned to face her while loudly asking, "Have you gone crazy, Bua Ji? Why are you hitting me like this?"

"Ay, don't think about that, Arnav Singh Raizada." She pointed a soapy finger at me as she warned me with a glare. "Tell your Amma that you want to finish your studies and start a business. Go!"

I nodded obediently before I hurriedly walked out to the living room, where Amma was arranging the cushions in their right places.

I looked at Bua Ji over my shoulder, who showed me her thumb, saying, All the best, then I turned to Amma.

"I want to start a business, then finish my studies."

"What?" Amma asked as she looked at me with a cushion in hand and her brows knitted.

"Arre, Ulta, Sanka Devi, Ulta bolo." Bua Ji yelled from the kitchen, and I suddenly realized what I said.

"I want to finish my studies, then I want to start a business." I said, then gave Amma a big smile.

She just stared at me before shaking her head and again returning to her work while asking, "What subject and what type of business?"

I thought for a moment before answering, "I want to study business and..." I paused, then my eyes widened as an idea struck me. "Event management company."

Amma straightened up and looked at me before asking, "Why an event management company?"

"Because I love occasions." I answered with another big smile. But it soon flattered as Amma gave me a look.

"Ah, because I think I'll do a good job with arranging it." I tried. And Amma stared at me for a moment before nodding.

"Do whatever you want. But make sure that not a single penny is wasted." She warned, then walked past me to the dining table. "We don't have an abundance of it. And we also should be ready for Payal to come back."

I pulled my brows together as I asked, "Why? Why should we be ready for Jiji to come home?"

"What? Payaliya is back?" Bua Ji came running for the kitchen with a soapy glass in hand.

"Amma?"

"She went back into that house; of course, she'll come back." Amma replied like it was the most obvious thing to say.

Bua Ji and I sighed before we shared a look and shook our heads before walking back to the kitchen to do the rest of the work. Because Amma has been saying this ever since Jiji said she wanted to go back.

I hope she stays there happily. Because I can't go to jail for killing Jijaji anytime soon if he again breaks her heart since I have a lot to do now.