Chapter 25

Khushi

"Because with you... I can never be the old Khushi." I looked at him. "I can never be me again. Because I... I feel suffocated with you. I feel trapped."

He stilled as I finished and let go of my hand.

I looked down at my own hand as a tear fell. I know I'm hurting him, but he should know his own faults. He should know that he's not right every time. He should know how I feel about him.

I heard a door open behind me and glanced at Arnav Ji before drying my eyes and standing.

Jijaji and Jiji came out with smiles on both of their faces and stood in front of us.

"We have decided to get back together." Jijaji said that and looked at Jiji while smiling.

Arnav Ji stood as I smiled at both of them and hugged Jiji.

"Congrats." He said as he hugged Jijaji before turning to Jiji and adding, "I'm sorry for everything I did, Payal."

Jiji just slightly nodded at his words and smiled at me while taking my hand before saying, "Thanks, Khushi... For everything."

"Are you going back today?" I asked, looking at them.

"Actually, everyone wanted to come. They wanted to apologize before taking Payal back." Jijaji said as he glanced between me and Jiji.

"We'll talk to Amma and Bua Ji." I said while Jiji nodded. "Jijaji, can I... talk to you for a minute?"

"Of course, Khushi. What is it?" He said this while looking at me.

I looked at Jijaji, then back at Jiji before saying, "Did you give tea to Jijaji?"

"No, it's fine." He said.

"Arre... How is it fine? Jiji go. Make tea for him. Go." I said as I widened my eyes while slowly trying to push her. "And take these." I handed her the tea cups from before and again pushed her out of the room to the kitchen.

I waited for her to leave, then turned to Jijaji and said, "Is Mami Ji fine with Jiji coming back?"

Jijaji stayed quiet as he looked at Arnav Ji before answering, "I talked to everyone. They will be very happy if Payal comes back."

"And Mami Ji?" I asked impatiently.

"She didn't say anything when I told everyone. But if she is not happy, then I'll leave the house with Payal."

My mouth fell slightly open as he finished, and I stared at him with shock... He'll leave his family because of Jiji?...

"But Jiji would never want you to do that." I said as I glanced over my shoulder for Jiji.

He nodded as he said, "I know. But I won't be able to live without Payal. And I'm sure, after some time, Maa will accept us. So don't worry. And don't tell Payal anything. I'll talk to her."

I nodded slowly as Jiji came back with four cups of tea in hand.

*

"Amma..." I tailed behind her as she walked from the living room to the kitchen. "Just think of Jiji na!"

"Because of you, I said yes when Akash Bitwa wanted to meet Payal." Amma said as she placed a pan on the stove. "And now... now you want me to send her back to that house."

"But Amma, they love each other and want to be together. Don't punish Jiji because of something I did." I said this as I turned her to face me.

"None of it was your mistake. Do you understand me?" Her voice rose a little.

"Ay Sanka Devi, Why are you irritating your Amma ha? Don't you have someone else to disturb?" Bua Ji said over her shoulder and washed Okra on the sink as Jiji entered. "Go and irritate Payal."

"Bua Ji! Why are you sending her to me?" Jiji said while trying to hide her smile.

I stared at all of them before turning to Jiji and saying, "If I'm troubling you that much, then convince them yourself. Tell them yourself that your in-laws are coming tomorrow to take you."

The whole kitchen fell silent as I finished, and Jiji stared at me with shock in her wide eyes. I glanced at everyone before realization hit me... This was supposed to be a secret. Jijaji had told me not to tell anyone about tomorrow. I bit my nails as my own eyes widened. What did I do? This was not supposed to happen. Jijaji had trusted me. Why can't I just keep my mouth shut? Hai, Devi Maiya! What did I do?...

I glanced at everyone and found them staring at me as I decided running was the best option left for me before they asked me something I was not supposed to say.

"I'm going to see if Preeto came home or not." I said over my shoulders as I ran.

*

"Where is Payaliya?" Bua Ji asked as she placed sweet boxes on the table.

"She's getting ready." I said and took a glance at her from the corner of my eyes before adding, "Bua Ji, can you all pretend to be surprised when they come?" I arranged sweets on a plate and glanced at her to see her reaction.

"You want me to be surprised when I don't even want them to come. Remind me, why are they coming uninvited like this?" Bua Ji said as she sat on a chair next to where I was standing.

"Because your Nandkishore and they want their Akash Bitwa and Payal Bitiya to be happy together." I answered.

"As if our daughter isn't happy here?... Is this why I had asked Payal to come back so that we could give our daughter to them again?" Amma said as she came out of her room while draping her pallu over her head.

I huffed lightly before saying, "Just think about Jiji na... And Akash Jijaji really loves and appreciates her. She will be happy with him."

"Acha? Then why didn't he speak up for her that day?" Bua Ji asked while glaring at me as I went to the kitchen. As if I had asked him not to speak up.

"You know him na. He's very slow at things. That's why... Other than that, he's perfect." I said it loudly without looking back and took a few dishes out of the kitchen cabinets, then came back to the dining area.

"That's why I haven't said anything to stop this yet." Bua Ji said as she started cleaning all the unwanted things from the table. "But I will if that Hello-Hi-Bye-Bye says anything about our daughter."

"Acha. Do whatever you want. But when they come, pretend you didn't know anything about their arrival." I said as I stopped in front of Amma and Bua Ji with a pile of empty boxes of sweets in each hand on my way to the kitchen. "Jijaji had told me not to tell you."

"Then we should go out to eat your favorite Gol Gappe and Payaliya's favorite Chatt. Since we don't know they are coming na." Bua Ji said as I threw the empty boxes in the trash and made a face behind their backs while washing my hands.

"Bua Ji..." I started as I wrapped an arm around her shoulder, but was interrupted when the bell rang.

Amma suddenly turned to me and took me by my shoulders before saying, "You will stay with us all the time. You won't talk to anyone unless you're greeting them or are spoken to. And you will not go anywhere near Arnav Singh Raizada. Do you understand?"

I stared at her with wide eyes while she talked. Then I held her shoulder and used the same tone to answer, "I understand. But don't worry. I'll sit on your lap the whole time." I gave her a big smile and side-hugged her and Bua Ji together.

"Pagal.." Amma sighed, exchanged a look with Bua Ji, who was shaking her head at me, then turned to open the door.