Chapter 27

Akash

"Do you want to eat something?" I asked Payal as soon as we entered our room. "I can tell Hariprakash to quickly make something before lunch."

Payal just shook her head before sitting on the edge of the bed and saying, "I want to talk to you."

"Sure, tell me." I walked up to the bed and sat beside her.

She took a few moments to breathe before looking up at me.

"I... want to finish my studies."

"That's good news. When do you want to start?" I asked as I smiled. If she wants to finish her studies, then that's what she'll do.

She hesitated for a moment before saying with unsure eyes, "As soon as possible!"

"Then let's select a college, and we'll go for admission as soon as possible, okay?" I replied and eagerly waited for her answer. But she just stared at me with shock and disbelief.

I know it's hard for her to believe me now, but I'll do everything in my power to get her trust back.

"Okay?" I asked her again as I took her hands in mine and shook them slightly.

She smiled a little before nodding.

I stood up while holding her hand and motioned at the door while saying, "Let's tell everyone the good news at lunch." And I pulled her with me downstairs to the dining table, where everyone was already present.

I pulled up a chair and motioned for Payal to sit, which she obeyed with a little bit of hesitation. As I also sat down next to her, I found Papa, Dadi, and Di smiling while they ate; Bhai, as usual, was stuck on his phone; and Maa was staring at me with wide eyes.

I avoided her stare and loudly said for everyone to hear, "Payal wants to finish her studies. So..."

"There's no need for that." I looked at Maa as soon as she said that and found her glaring at Payal, who was sitting awkwardly. "This is your sasural, not your maternity home, where you can do whatever you..."

"Maa," I interrupted with clenched jaws as I looked at her through my glasses. "Payal will do whatever she wants." I grabbed Payal's stiff hand from under the table and felt her looking at me. "This is her house, too."

"How ca..." Maa tried, but this time Papa interrupted her by saying, "Stop this, Manorama. If Payal Bitiya wants to continue her studies, then she will."

"But..." Maa again tried.

"Payal Bitiya," Papa directly addressed Payal and looked at her while interrupting Maa. "You will continue your studies. I'll see who dares to stop it, okay?"

I also looked at Payal, who nodded after a moment as I heard her sniff and then looked at me with a genuine smile, which I returned. Finally, she smiled.

"It's a very good idea, Bitiya. All the best. May God help bless you!" Dadi said it with a smile.

"Thank you, Dadi Ji!" Payal replied as I felt her calm down a little under my touch.

"Payal Ji, What subject do you want to study?" Di asked from my left as she passed a bowl of curry to me, and I served both Payal and me.

"Business-related something. Maybe Accounting." She answered quietly as she glanced at me for a second before again looking at Di.

"That's a good subject." Papa said as he took a bit of his food while Maa made faces.

Payal just smiled with a nod as she also started eating.

"You can join AR." I looked up with wide eyes as I heard Bhai, who casually shrugged at my reaction before looking at Payal and plainly saying, "I can always have an accountant or a CFO." He paused. "Of course, if you want, only then." Then he again resumed eating without saying another word to anyone for the whole lunch.

After lunch, as Payal and I went back to our room, she called me, "Akash?"

"Hmm?" I unclasped my watch and placed it on the vanity table before turning to her.

"Thank you." She said it quietly as she looked me in the eyes.

I smiled sadly instead of answering and just walked up to her before taking one of her hands in mine while saying and looking at it, "I'm sorry." I looked up at her. "I promise, I'll fix everything. Just give me a chance and some time. That's all I want. I'll keep every promise I made to you before our marriage. I'll be that someone you deserve."

She took a second before nodding slightly and saying, "I'll believe you, Akash. But..." She looked at me with tears in her eyes. "Just don't break my heart. I won't be able to take it again."

And a tear fell from the corner of her eyes before I pulled her into a tight hug and closed my eyes. I'll fix everything. I promise. You won't regret this again. Never again.