Chapter 07

Khushi

I splashed cold water on my face as Arnav Ji's words rang in my ears.

I know it's hard for him, but if he knows that he made a mistake, shouldn't he apologize instead of trying to buy it?

He says that he didn't mean it. That I'm not at fault. That I'm not understanding him. That I'm not listening to him. But... why can't he just think about me for once? Think about how I felt... It wasn't easy for me to hear him say that I'm to blame for everything that's happening and then forgive him at once when he didn't even apologize.

I didn't ask him to buy me gifts. To buy me diamond necklaces. I never wanted anything from him. All I ever needed from him was an apology from the heart. For him to say sorry. For him to say that he shouldn't have done anything he did... That's all I needed. And If he had said it, I would have forgiven him. I would have hugged him and never let him go. I would have told him how madly, madly in love I am with him...

But who am I to say anything? This is just a contract marriage... Which will end in 5 days... He'll always do whatever he wants. Whatever he thinks is right. It doesn't matter to him how that impacts others' lives.

He even forced me to marry him just because he thought-yes, he thought-that I was having an affair with his Jijaji. How can someone have such a cheap thought?... And even if I were having an affair, shouldn't he be trying to keep me and Shyam Ji away from each other? But no. Instead, he thought it would be better if he married me. Because it was my fault after all. It was my fault that Shyam Ji chose to cheat on Di. And I honestly don't blame him for doing what he did. I would also have thought about my family first. Which I did. Which is why I married him in the first place. Which is why I didn't say a single word about how we got married to anyone. But shouldn't one at least hear both sides of the story before judging?... He didn't even tell Di about it. He just made a decision on her behalf... I know Arnav Ji loves Di a lot, but... who gave him the right to decide for her? To decide for her baby.

Anyway, it's none of my business anymore. In 5 days, I'll be free again.

*

I peeked downstairs to make sure Di wasn't there before joining the breakfast table. And I hadn't expected Arnav Ji to be there. Because... for obvious reasons.

I greeted everyone with a small smile before taking a seat on Nani Ji's left, who was seated at the head of the table.

"Khushi Bitiya, is everything alright?" Nani asked after she exchanged looks with almost everyone present at the table.

"Ji... Nani ji." I answered with hesitation and glanced around. Why is everyone staring at me like that? Did I do something? "Why? Is... something wrong?"

"It's just that we heard you two talking very loudly and got worried. Nothing else." Nani Ji said, calmly, as she gave me an assuring smile while patting the back of my hand.

"Everything's fine, Nani Ji." I returned her smile.

"Hello-Hi-Bye-Bye, Phati Saree! But, what were you two arguing about? Hmm?" Mami Ji asked with both curiosity as she shifted in her seat to face me.

"I..."

"It was my fault, Mami." Arnav Ji's voice came as he sat down on a chair opposite mine. Where did he come from? Didn't he leave? Isn't he supposed to be at work right now?

"I did something I shouldn't have." He added this as he stared at me while taking a piece of bread. "But don't worry, we can handle our personal matters."

I stared at him as he answered arrogantly to a woman old enough to be his mother, while buttering the toast. Hai, Devi Maiya! What's going on inside this Laadgovener's head? What is he going to do now?

Under the table, I fisted the sides of my dress and kept my eyes down on my lap. Why is he doing this? Why can't he just listen to me? Why can't he see... that I don't want him to do anything? I don't even want him to be anywhere near me.

"Khushi..." Arnav Ji called me as he placed the bread on my plate.

I looked at the bread, then glared at him as he nodded his head, encouraging me to eat. After everything... he literally has the audacity to look me in the eyes and order me to eat?

"Bitiya, eat. Don't take out Chote's anger on the food." Nani Ji said as she glanced between us. "You can fight with him later."

After a few moments of glaring, I finally looked away from him and said, "Nani ji, I'm not feeling well. Can I... go and rest?"

She looked at Arnav Ji, but he had his eyes fixed on me. Then she again turned to me and nodded.

After roaming here and there for an hour in the house, I went to the kitchen and ate three ladoos. Then I peered inside Jiji's room and saw her there with Mami Ji, who was busy scolding her for something. Sighing, I went to my room and found it empty. Thank you, Devi Maiya! Thank you! Finally, Laadgovener went to the office.

I grabbed the folded pile of laundered clothes and headed for the cupboard.

As soon as I opened the door, I found Arnav Ji sitting inside. I stumbled on my feet and dropped the clothes on the ground as I took a few steps back.

I stared at him with shock as he jumped out of the cupboard and stood in front of me with a small smile playing on his lips. And I remembered how he had found me there during Di's anniversary.

"Do you remember anything?" He asked softly, raising his left eyebrow in question.

"No." I said it more loudly than necessary and turned to leave the room.

"Wait." He took a hold of my arm and turned me to face him again. But as soon as I turned, he took the coffee-filled mug in his hand and threw it on my face.

I gasped and coughed as the coffee went inside my nostrils, my mouth, and my eyes, then dripped from my face onto the dress. I looked down on myself before looking up at him.

"Now?" He asked, hopefully. Has he gone completely mad?

Instead of answering. I grabbed the tea pot, took off the lid, and threw the tea at his face. Then I smashed the ceramic pot on the ground and yelled, "No."