Chapter 4: A Midnight Confession

After dropping Sana, Abhi drove to my house. As we reached, Abhi opened the door of my side helping me to come out from the car. "Such a gentleman he is." I thought.

After coming out from the car, I told Abhi to come and sit in our garden as my parents were already asleep & I couldn't call him in. So, that's the last thing I could do for the person coming for the first time in our house. We sat in the large, white swing in our garden. None of us was talking. Only a comfortable, not at all awkward silence prevailed within us. Both of us were staring at the sky and seeing the stars.

"Doesn't the sky look very ethereal?" I asked.

"Yes, that is the most beautiful view in front of me and I can't stop staring at that." Abhi said.

Hearing his reply, as soon as I looked at him, I found him already gazing at me with a soft smile.

"I have something to tell you, Esha."

I found him hesitating a lot and fidgeting with his fingers. I wondered what he was going to tell me that made him so nervous. I nodded my head and gave him assurance to continue fearlessly.

"Esha, I don't know if you noticed, but I like you. The way you smile, the way your long eyelashes touch the region beneath your eyes while blinking, the way you pout while you devour your favourite food, the way you talk endlessly with Sana, the way you are passionate about your studies, the way you understand others and help them everything of yours is my favourite. But I don't know which one among these made me fall for you. I can tell you that I fell for you first and then they became my favourite. Do I deserve a chance, Esha? It's totally up to you, if you don't feel the same for me, you can openly reject me. But don't unfriend me. I can't bear that. I want to stay by your side always even if it is as a mere friend."

I was very much taken aback by his sudden confession as this was the first time in my life someone ever confessed to me. Moreover, I didn't see that coming. Now, finally, I found the actual source of hidden ocean of emotions which I found in his dark brown orbs every time my eyes met his thus solving every riddle. It was his feelings which led to weird sensations in my stomach. His feelings were also genuine, no doubt. I had already seen him care about me, being worried about my safety. His actions always spoke louder than his words. But I guess I've always wanted to listen to just those words of his.

Then again, I thought about something else. Though I didn't doubt his feelings for me, on the other hand, I was not sure about my feelings.

"I-I don't know how I feel for you." I saw how Abhi's eyes which were previously shining in the anticipation of knowing my answers, saddened at once. "I can't hurt you without being sure about my feelings. That's like deceiving you. But again, I don't want to reject you too. I just need to be sure that I truly like you. We can just start as being friends. Let's spend more time with each other and-"

Abhi suddenly hugged me and lifted my tiny body up in his manly embrace. His strong cologne hit my nostrils as he kissed my forehead, my cheeks, nose tip and happily swirled me around while still surrounding his arms around my waist.

After a few seconds, he placed me down on my feet and pulled me closer by snaking his right arm around my waist. I bumped into his hard chest and looked up only to see him smirking at me.

He tugged the loose strands of hair behind my ears with his left hand and rubbed his thumb over my lips and said, "I left this place to be devoured the time you confess your feelings to me. I'm sure I can make you fall for me. Still, a big thanks to you for giving us a chance. I can't wait to see us together in the future."

I blushed hearing him talking about us in the future. And he instantly took chance of my distracted state and teased me saying, "Don't hide your cheeks from my view, Esha. Let me see you blushing. You don't know how charming you look with that red tint spread across your cheeks. Your face is absolutely glowing under the moonlight. I guess this is the most breathtaking view in my entire life-"

I cut him off by hugging him tightly and he immediately reciprocated my hug.

That night, both of us drifted off to our dreamlands with the other one giving company in our dreams.

Next day

After the biochemistry class, I, Sana and Abhi went for a coffee break to relax ourselves. I was very much infuriated due to a boy in my class who was constantly arguing with me, he was actually getting on my nerves.

In the cafeteria, I again came across that boy, who was still giggling seeing me. Damn, I just wanted to punch his face.

"Hey Esha, you here?" The boy said leaning on the counter of the cafeteria.

I ignored him and was waiting for my order, but he kept on pestering me.

"Do you have a boyfriend, Esha? If not, can I be the one? You know what, I actually have a thing for you. I was secretly admiring you on our fresher's party. When I heard you singing in your angelic voice, you don't know how badly I wanted to pull you into a bone crashing hug and kiss-"

"I dare you complete that sentence of yours. The girl you laid your eyes upon, is mine. She is my girl. Don't even think about completing that sentence, cause if you do, you'll surely face the consequences. I'll further like to warn you to stay away from her. Never pester her again." Abhi said.

I could clearly see a whole new Abhi before me who was entirely different from the one, I always knew. The Abhi I knew was the ever smiling, soft hearted, sympathetic, lovely boy. But these were never the actions of that bubbly boy, rather a whole new man took over the place of that boy. I could already feel him fuming in rage and was breathing heavily. It looked like he was controlling himself from bursting out. As time passed, he clenched his jaw and gritted his teeth seeing that boy who was now trying to hold my hand and ask me to confirm the truth in Abhi's words. I was so nervous; I just didn't know what to do. The entire cafeteria was feeling terrified seeing Abhi like that. I even saw Sana's petrified figure as if this was the first time she saw him like that.

"Leave her hand", Abhi roared in anger. His veins were popping out in his forehead and his nostrils flared in wrath. He growled and came forward and pushed that boy aside and took my hand which that boy touched towards his lips and kissed my palm.

I calmed down a little as soon as he did that and hugged him as tightly as I could, and I felt his heart which was beating as if running on a marathon instantly calmed down. I looked up and saw him smiling softly while looking at me. Again, I hid my face in his chest. He caressed my head by running his fingers through my hair a little letting me feel his love and care for me. But then, suddenly Abhi held my hand and started dragging me outside.

"I'm sorry Esha. I shouldn't have acted rashly back then. Whatever I did will only lead to gossips that will affect you. When you clearly told me about your feelings for me, I still behaved as if you are already my girlfriend. But I didn't want to make you uncomfortable, I just wanted to protect you from him. Believe me Esha, I'm not that kind of person who is possessive or toxic over-"

I cut him off saying, "Don't apologize for something you haven't done. You are not the one at fault here. And I trust you. Now forget all these, and let's go enjoy our break. Oh shit! Sana is still inside. I saw her getting frightened seeing you getting that angry. I think we owe her an explanation. Moreover, she needs you now. Forget about the break, spend the rest of the day with Sana. I shouldn't interfere with you guys for now. But I'll surely talk with her heart to heart once you are done."

"Ok. But at least let's exchange our phone numbers this time, Esha. You denied the last time too. Now, when you gave us a chance, don't you think to spend more time with each other, we should have some late-night calls or chats and stuffs, huh?"

"I see you are too eager to get my contact details, ok then, here scan it. And let me scan yours after that." I spoke.

"Never. I'm going to text you first, give you a surprise call then you'll automatically have my number. No need to give it now. I just need yours." Abhi said smiling like a fool.