Chapter 17: The last picture

Hey, it's the author here. Vote and comment if you like the chapter.

Happy reading!♡

-----------------------------------------------------------

"He is not in India!"

"What?!" All of them shouted at once.

"What happened actually, Esha? Why did he leave India?" Uncle asked being worried.

"After completing MS (neurosurgery), he got an offer to pursue superspecialization in GMS Medical Centre, in Germany. Though he was a brilliant student, that was once in a lifetime chance. It was not his fault that he grabbed the chance and flew to Germany. I don't blame him for that. Later, he completed his studies there, but he refused to return. He was appointed as a neurosurgeon in that medical centre itself. And when I asked him if he would come back to me, to us, here in India, he said he had already been a widely renowned neurosurgeon there, so, it would be better if he would settle there. He said that he had gotten advanced technologies there, which had enhanced his personal development as a surgeon. Finally, he didn't return."

A long pause.

We all were silent after I explained what happened between us. But that was only half truth.

How could I tell them about Eva? I can't bear those judgemental eyes towards me and my child again. Maybe they won't do that ever, but what if they do? What if they also abandon me? It's better not to tell them about Eva.

After a few minutes of silence, Uncle heavily sighed and asked,"What about you two? Weren't you two supposed to tie a knot?"

"He--he fell out of love." I replied with my trembling voice. A lone drop of tear escaped my eye and vanished in the fabric of my kurti.

Uncle placed his right hand on my head and patted so that I could calm down.

"Stop talking about your past for now. I can feel that there is something more, but you are too hurt to let us know about that. I assure you, Esha, it's okay. You don't have to tell us anything if you are uncomfortable. Just remember that we won't judge you and we are there for you."

I smiled a little hearing Uncle's words but the smile vanished when I heard loud sobs.

I looked back and saw it was Kritika who was sobbing continuously while standing just behind me, holding the brim of the chair. As soon as her eyes met mine, she broke down completely and hugged me tightly by my neck.

This reaction was not unexpected from her. We both are more than sisters to each other. Sometimes, I even wonder if we were related in our previous birth. But in this birth, even though we are not blood related, we still share a special bond. And I pray to the God that even in my next births, she stays in my life as a very significant person, just like she is now. Her love for me is an ointment to my broken soul. Being back in Honeybloom, gives me back the warmth, I always crave for. Though this place brings back every of those memories of mine related to him, though every nook and corner of this place, every page of the books I like, every sip of our favourite Frappuccino remind me of him, I still chose to finally come back to my second home, to these people who always accept me heartily. And I don't regret my decision a bit.

My thoughts were interrupted as I heard Kritika saying, "Di, after you left that day, we thought you would come the next day too. But you didn't come back. Just like that, a week passed. It was quite unusual that you were not visiting us for one week at a stretch. You already had your final exams completed by then, so you shouldn't have been so busy with your studies, that you couldn't pay us a visit. I wondered what happened to you and Abhimanyu Da that you guys suddenly stopped coming here. I was so worried, I couldn't help calling you and him. I called both of you numerous times, others also did, but y-you never picked up a single call." She paused as I rubbed her cheeks soaked with her tears. But she again teared up and her lips quivered as she said,"I cried so much, Di. I just wanted to know what happened to you that you were giving us cold shoulder. People would say, it's too unprofessional for me to cry for such a petty issue. But this wasn't petty for me. Others would never get it, how I feel about you, Di. But, but you know right?" I nodded while tears were threatening to fall down my cheeks at any moment.