Chapter 10: Back from dreamland

Kuch to hain tujhse Raabta.

Wiping my tears, I came out from the golden lane of my memories as the song ended. Those days- those golden days of my late adolescence and early youth only reminded me of him. His promises, his soft chuckle, his touch, his kisses- I miss everything of him. But everything is now just another big lie to me.

Now, I'm at our apartment. But I guess I have to find another one sooner. Or I can just go stay with my parents. But I just don't want to bother them. The longer I stay at this apartment, the worse my mental health becomes.

I kept aside my phone and earbuds with which I was listening to that song which helped me feel him closer to me even it's for a few moments. But at the end of the song, still I'm the one who is left broken.

I console myself every time saying, "The song has to end, Esha, just like your story with him ended."

"Baby, don't be scared, hm? This sister here will not harm you."

"Ah-Mrs. Gupta, let me handle her. Rest assured. So, baby, your Mumma told you that I'm your big sister. So, you are my sister too, right?"

The baby immediately nodded her head indicating that she agrees to my words.

"So, I want you to remember my cute, little sister that I won't hurt you no matter what. Hm? Now tell me, what do you want to watch? Doraemon or Shinchan? Or Pokémon? Or Chhota Bheem?"

"Doraemon-Doraemon." She shouted in her baby voice.

"Okay. What my little sister wants, she gets that."

I turned on the TV in my cabin to let her watch cartoon. In a few moments, she was so immersed in watching TV, I prepared her vaccine and injected it. She realized that something was going on with her, and when she again started shouting, I cooed her in the softest way possible. Within a few seconds, it was done and now it was time for her gifts. Her bravery deserves some prize, right?

"I see, my little sister is quite brave enough and much obedient too. I think I must award her with some handsome prizes, right? So, here are some cute purses. One is pink and another one is blue. Pink one is of Mickey mouse and the blue is of Donald duck. Which one do you want, my little baby?"

"Can I take both?" She asked me cutely. No, that wasn't a question. But a request to convince me. Her aegyo is worth seeing.

"Baby, this is bad manner. Don't-"

"Let it be Mrs. Gupta. Baby, both of them are yours. Hm? Are you happy now?"

"Thank you, sister. I'll give the blue one to my brother."

Such a well-mannered child she is. I praised her attitude by looking at her mother and smiling. Even her mother must have been proud of her. Really, sharing is caring.

To get acquainted with all these little, pure, innocent souls, I became a pediatrician. Moreover, it also helps me in not remembering Eva's absence in my life. She was, is and always will be another most important person in my life. So, somehow, I think I made the wisest decision to become a child physician.

This is just another normal day in my life without him. Being the most famous and successful pediatrician in the hospital as well as the state, I am always flooded with patients. I'm not bragging but trust me, I'm not someone people describe me out there. These children give me joy, the joy which I thought I'll also experience in the normal course of my life, but my fate had some other plans.

God knows where from these outsiders hear these rotten news about me. But wherever I go, I get to hear this shit. Only the ones close, very close to me, know the actual me.