Ch 43: The story

Ch 43: The story
Sean o' pry as Ashton ⬆️

Damian:

So many thoughts ran through my head as I sped down the darkened road. Suddenly I spotted grey smoke and I stopped and turned off the car.
I walked towards it, seeing skid marks as I walked down the little hill. Apparently the truck had hit a little hill and gravity did it's job and it came tumbling down.
I could see another truck nearby in the same disarray. People started to pull themselves out from under the totaled cars.
I spotted Lindsey, with a few scratches and a confused look. She was hugging a concerned Lance, but pulled away once she caught sight of me. My arm's immediately went around her, relief pouring through my body.

"Thank God you're fine." I breathed out.
She pulled back her green eyes filled with regret and confusion.
"Peyton is missing. I don't get it, why would they want her as well ?"
The same thought had been bugging me, and no one, especially Dante would like the conclusion I came up with.
Chris and Ash came walking up looking bruised and blood covering their shirts. The once dashing tuxedo was now in tattered shreds.

"We need to take Dante to the pack doctor to be checked. He got the worst of the impact, the car rammed right into his side."
"I brougt the SUV, so we'll just lay him in the back seat." they nodded as they went to get him.
They returned with a dazed Dante, his side of the face had cuts from the glass. His arm appeared to be broken and he couldn't put weight on his right leg.
I turned my eyes to the other SUV where the six trackers stood nearby.
"Are you all able to shift ?" I asked.
They nodded to me.

"Shift and follow alongside us, we don't want something like this happening again. Some can stay behind to track down scents, but this storm will wash away all scents soon. " they looked hesitant at first as they looked at Chris.
He nodded his head as they shifted and some stayed behind and the rest followed us.
They carefully laid Dante in the back seat as the rest climbed into the very back row.
The ride back home was filled with silence.
"Well there goes my dress." Raven muttered softly and I couldn't help but smirk.
"I mind-linked Don to see if he could send someone to come pick up the trucks, if thats okay ?" I glanced briefly at Chris, who sat beside me.
He turned electric blue eyes my way and a grateful smile appeared.
"Thank you, Damian. You'll make an incredible Alpha one day."

I felt my cheeks flush as I nodded.
"Thank you, Chris. I'm just trying to help as much as possible....under the circumstances." My voice cracked towards the end and I had to clench my jaw.
I was surprised when I felt a strong arm squeeze my shoulder.
Alpha Chris smiled smally.
"We'll find her, okay ?"
I didn't trust myself to talk so I just nodded.
I let out a loud curse as Dante sat up abruptly letting out a string of curses.
Ash managed to calm him down and he stayed quiet.
But not for long.

As soon as we reached the pack house, the raindrops started to fall, slowly then faster.
The trackers had already headed back and were currently on patrol.
"I can't be in here, I have to find Peyton." Dante groaned as he almost fell from trying to apply pressure on his leg.
"Calm down Dante, her scent and that of the rouges would be gone by now." Ash said patiently.
His shoulders slumped as he banged his head on the wall.
"The two most important people to me and I couldn't even protect them." He said, his voice filled with regret and guilt.
"Don't blame yourself, no one knew this would happen." Raven said.
"But we did." He shouted his eyes brimmed with tears "All the signs were there. The rouges suddenly appearing, the cryptic notes. We knew they were watching, looking for a good opportunity to attack. We let our gaurd down and now they're in the rouges hands."

The dining room was silent, everyone's thoughts consuming them.
The women and children were still in the living room, the Luna and Issac no where to be found. They were probably upstairs sleeping.
My eyes scanned the dining room, everyone with a faraway look.
I knew what they were thinking but no one wanted to voice it out.
"I'll say it, since no one will." All eyes turned to me "Don't you find it odd that the rouges only took Peyton ?"
"What are you implying, Damian ?" Lance put a restraining hand on Dante's chest as he tried to step forward. He had a murderous look in his eye, and I knew he knew what I was implying.
"The first note clearly stated that we had a mole amongst us." My eyes never wavered from Dante's.
"Ill beat the living shit out of you, for what you're implying, asshole." he growled.

"Guys." Alpha Chris stepped up "We need to work together not against one another. Byron and Amy will patch you all up, then you can all meet in my office in fifteen minutes to discuss this."
The pack doctor and her assistant Byron walked in just in time carrying a big medical bag.
I bowed my head slightly in respect to Chris before I headed to the door.
"Damian, wait." Lindsey called out.
Lance followed relunctant but no seething looks aimed my way.
"Stay, I'll get some of Lances clothes and you can take a shower here."
My lip pulled up in a half smile as I cupped her cheek.
"I'll be fine, I'm just going to take a quick shower then be back." I said to soothe the fear in her eyes.