24

The operation took a very long time. Omer was sitting on the floor outside the front door of the operating room and fixing one's mind on the wall. His eyes were red from crying. He was tired of waiting and had no strength for anything. He was almost certain that everything would end well. Almost. Some part of him said otherwise.

One of the nurses tried to help him, but he did not respond. They brought him food and water, but he wouldn't. He couldn't swallow anything when his wife was on the operating table. Their families don't know anything. He didn't know how to tell them. He was afraid of how they would react.

After more than an hour of operation, the doctor left the operating room and came to Omer to give him the details of the operation. He stood in front of him, took off his surgical cap, and took it in his hand. Omer stood up from the ground and waited for him to say something. The doctor lowered his head down 'I'm sorry. We did everything we could, but it wasn't enough to save...'.

Omer interrupted him. Tears began to flow down his cheeks. He felt as if life flashed before his eyes. In his head, he heard the laughter of Kıvılcım and the child, their child. He reached out his hand to the doctor and shook it, disagreeing with what the doctor said.

Omer: No, no, no. That can't be true. Don't say that.

Doctor: I'm really sorry.

Omer: No, it's impossible.

Doctor: Unfortunately, the bleeding was too intense. We fought to the end, but we failed to save your child.

Omer cried and fell to the ground. He hit his hand on the floor shouting 'MY BABY'. The doctor knelt to help him. He grabbed his arms to help him get up. He went with him to the nearest chair and they both sat down.

Doctor: I know it's hard for you. You need time. Your wife's been transported to the recovery room. She should wake up soon.

Omer: C-can I go to her?

Doctor: Of course. You need to be close to each other right now, support each other. If you want, I can tell her everything when she wakes up.

Omer: No. I'll do it. She needs to hear it from me.

Doctor: I understand. If you change your mind, call me.

Omer: Yhm.

Omer got up from his chair and went to Kıvılcım. Every step he took was a challenge. He felt like he was lifting a rock instead of a leg. He walked slowly so as not to lose his balance. His breathing was heavy, too. He grabbed his throat, tried to swallow his saliva, but he was still in pain.

He entered the room where Kıvılcım was. He sat by the bed and grabbed her hand. He wiped his tears and kissed her. Seeing her like that was painful for him. He sat next to her the whole time. He wouldn't step back from her. He didn't want her to be alone when he woke up.
...

Kıvılcım didn't wake up for a long time. Omer got hungry and went to the hospital restaurant to get something to eat. At that time, a nurse came to her to give her a new drip.
A few minutes later, Kıvılcım slowly opened her eyes. She was confused. The nurse looked at her and asked her a question. Kıvılcım barely heard her. The surgery made her very weak.

The nurse finished examine her. Kıvılcım asked her 'What about my child?' The woman didn't know what to do. She smiled at her and said the doctor will tell her everything. Kıvılcım tried to understand what had happened.

The doctor went inside and examined Kıvılcım. Everything was normal. Kıvılcım asked him questions about the baby. The doctor refrained from telling her the truth. Like the nurse, he smiled at her, 'Get some rest. We'll talk later'. She didn't suspect anything. There was no thought in her mind of losing a child.